1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

14 years of symptom imperative

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Marytabby, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Marytabby

Marytabby Peer Supporter

Hello,
    Would love some input from anyone who successfully broke the symptom imperative cycle.
    I have had too many TMS symptoms to list here and like the game Whack-a-mole, when one symptom goes away, another takes its place. My first success was getting my back pain to go away in 2005. Since then I've had So many other symptoms. I have read and re-read every TMS book, done loads of journaling, I've done Alan's program and even worked with one of his TMS therapists quite a bit last year. When symptom imperative just keeps up, despite me accepting and knowing how to work the TMS concepts, what have others done that you can suggest for me? Do I need serious, in-depth psychotherapy? I would love to hear from people who had success breaking the cycle. What was the final thing that worked for you?
    Appreciate all input.
    Thanks,
    Mary in Boston

2. KT100

KT100 New Member

Hi
    Have gone through many symptoms of TMS, although my first realization of the problem was only 9 months ago.
    After reading Dr sarnos work my back pain of 15 years went away.
    But then started this cycle of new symptoms, some that were very severe.
    In my quest I found that the only way to keep the symptoms away was to keep your mind calm at all times. Which is very difficult to do. In our daily lives we have problems aplenty , and to keep calm in stressful situations is a very hard problem to solve.
    But it is not impossible, through mindful meditation , I broke the cycle of TMS.
    now it has been a month that I have not practiced meditation and guess what, am sick with a throat allergy. For me the results have been so dramatic that I have come to believe that all diseases are a result of your own wreck of a mind. But , if you give it direction, it will follow. If you turn Inwards, there is a whole lot of 'you' a whole new world within. And therein lies the healing, the peace.
    I suggest you take up meditation on a daily basis for 20 to 30 minutes , you might realize that the TMS even if not completely gone, would cease to bother you in any meaningful way.
    All the best.

Karan , New Delhi

readytoheal and Tennis Tom like this.