1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A gift in disguise

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by North Star, Feb 23, 2015.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

My sister brought me a big manila envelope the other day. It was full of letters I had written to her going back over 30 years. My personal time capsule.

My first reaction was "No, thanks!" (I didn't say that to her, I graciously accepted them.)

I approached them cautiously. Almost like peeking into the forbidden.

I'm so glad I did. I see now, it is a gift. It has helped me to understand my TMS development from waaaaaay back when. Comments from my 15-year-old self wishing that I could support my mom so she wouldn't have to work. The terror of my alcoholic sister pounding on the door of my house when I was home alone and I didn't know who it was.

My dreams…many of them are still here but left untouched for decades. My goodist tendencies. One letter I recount the medical drama of a month long illness.

It's all there.

I'm so grateful that I didn't just go out and burn them with a dismissive "the past is in the past." It's that pull yourself up by the bootstraps approach that set the table for TMS.

We don't have to be afraid of the past. We just can't dwell there or allow its memories to frighten us.

I intend to use these lessons to help me in my healing journey. :)

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

NS,

You are so fortunate to have that record of your younger self. When I journal about past events, I really have no idea how I was feeling at the time. I learned to repress at a young age, so I'm unable to remember emotions from the past. But having a record that I wrote at the time would at least give me some clues about what I was thinking and doing during difficult times.

A gift indeed! I admire you for having the courage to read through them.

3. North Star

Oh yes, repression! OMG, Ellen…I was an old pro way back then. Every letter has humor and a light touch on series topics. Very dismissive of heartache.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, North Star. What a wonderful gift! You were TMS journaling 30 years ago and now it's going to help you to recover.

North Star likes this.
  5. North Star

I like that perspective, Walt!