1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A new beginning

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by North Star, Oct 19, 2014.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey everyone! I have missed you! It's has been two weeks since we landed in our new home in AZ. The transition was rough but we survived. TMS has been all over the board but I keep telling myself this too shall pass.

Which brings me to a huge undertaking tomorrow. I have a friend here who runs a women's bootcamp - for physical fitness, that is. I got to know him about 4 years ago on an entrepreneur forum that I was helping to moderate and eventually edited his book.

He invited me to come join a camp - his compliments - for my labor of love on the book. My first reply was, "Maybe in a few months after some pool time." My TMS symptoms have been out of control and I'm not looking for more trouble.

And then I thought again. That's just what TMS would like me to do. I decided to jump on in and look at this as a way to jump start my new life in AZ.

So, I emailed him back and guess what? He just happened to have ONE more opening for his camp starting tomorrow at 8:00am. (It's just a one hour class.) I'll be attending M-F for the next month.

It promises to be a LOT of fun (this guy is a real hoot!) and I'll get to meet health conscious new friends. (There's a lot of retirees in this city and I have no intentions of hanging out with the aches and pains crowd.)

Still lots of transitions ahead with a new city and our new *almost* empty nesters stage in life. And I plan on meeting them with TMS on the run.

Anyway. That's a quick update. I've missed you all and look forward to getting back into a routine that includes hanging out here a bit.

Hugs! NS

2. North Star

PS I just wanted to add something else too. We weren't here even a week when we were reminded of the importance of boundaries. I don't want to gripe too much about it but it involved a few family members who are unburdened with any concern for others.

Thanks to my TMS knowledge, I became quickly aware of how my physical body was feeling with the conflict these folks were creating. I decided to give voice to how I was REALLY feeling: PISSED.:mad:

Hubby and I had a powwow over the issues and came to an agreement of how to deal with the situation. It will create some pushback for sure, especially with one person, who is also mentally ill and very manipulative.

I know dealing with this sort of stuff will be even more instrumental in freeing myself from a life filled with TMS. So - more new beginnings. :)

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, North Star. Your posts reminded me that when I moved to a new house a few years ago
    (not the one I am in now), my next-door neighbors were nice people and friendly
    but the wife told me, "Don't tell me your troubles, and I won't tell you mine."

I took her advice and we got along fine. Your relatives could use her advice.

Forest, nowtimecoach and North Star like this.
  4. North Star

That's just great, Walt! Very wise words indeed! Overall, I see how this has been helpful to me in that the old me would have silently bore the inconveniences and demands. No more. I'm learning to stand up to people and their outrageous expectations.

nowtimecoach likes this.
  5. Mala

Mala Well known member

Great decision & a brave move! How did it go NS. Details please!!!

Mala

North Star likes this.
  6. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

NorthStar... I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how your move and the settling in process was going. I'm delighted to read the update.
    And good for you to join the bootcamp! You are sooooo on your way to healing the TMS. Now your mind will have to focus on being sore in a good way, from exercise! <g> Congrats on getting through the move!!

North Star likes this.
  7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

That's awesome news, NS! I'm sure there will be ups and downs, but if you stick with it, I'm sure it will get easier and you will get much stronger. Let us know how it goes!

(BTW, I'm moving this thread to the support subforum because it is about an individual's experiences rather than a more theoretical question. I hope you don't mind! :))

North Star likes this.
  8. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

NS - Happy to hear the move is over and you can settle in. We seem to always get through these things. I think the boot camp is an excellent idea. You are right that our TMS strategy likes to prevent us from doing things so it can have us all to itself. I always feel better when I get out of the house.

North Star and Mala like this.
  9. North Star

Hey again, everyone! First, Forest, you move whatever needs to be moved….of course I don't mind! :)

Mala, bootcamp has been awesome. And yes, I have been sore. Last night I even wondered if I could move this morning from the old condition in my Achilles tendon. It's still pretty tight and I have to focus on not limping but I am powering on through.

This coach is a natural encourager and does a fantastic job. I am SO glad I decided to jump on in. The other cool thing is I am meeting some really interesting ladies - one of whom is interested in mind/body stuff.

We are still settling in. The days have been busy getting all the details of life, like new car insurance, etc taken care of. I am most eager about my journey into a new phase of the new and improved North Star. :)

Hugs to you all!

Ellen and Forest like this.
  10. blake

blake Well known member

Sounds like you're handling your tms and all these changes beautifully. That's great!
    I would love to do a boot camp workout. It sounds like so much fun. Good for you and best of luck in your new city.

North Star likes this.
  11. North Star

Thanks, Blake! Yes, boot camp is blast. I'm definitely feeling it but I'll take the pain from working out over TMS pain ANY day of the week! It hurts to good. :)

blake likes this.
  12. Mala

Mala Well known member

North Star what an encouraging post & so pleased that u are enjoying the boot camp & meeting new ppl. A little pain is to be expected -hell a lot of pain even, its boot camp after all but that's ok coz you are aware of what is going on. You will have days when it feels good & perhaps days when you feel really sore but that is all part of the healing. If you have read SteveO's book you will remember that his own healing took time & was never linear.

I am so so happy for you.dancea Best of luck settling into your new place & new home & please keep us posted on your journey.

Take care.

Mala

North Star likes this.
  13. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

North Star,

Just want to add my congratulations on your taking on a boot camp exercise program, and on your efforts to be more assertive in your relationships. These are big steps indeed.

I'm still regularly doing my Bikram Yoga, which could be characterized as Boot Camp Yoga. My progress hasn't been as fast as I would like, but there has been enough progress to keep me motivated. These exercise routines are great at changing our perception of ourselves--it's amazing what we can do, pain or no pain.

I think the time after a major move is a great time to make major changes. Our old habits and routines have been left behind, and everything seems possible in a new environment. So it's the perfect time to build new, healthy routines. Keep going.....everything is possible.

North Star and Mala like this.
  14. Mala

Mala Well known member

Fantastic Ellen! I too have been getting back to Yoga. I am 8 weeks post op & its hard work what with all the muscles being cut thru but I'm taking it slowly. Some pain afterwards but I guess that is to be expected. Keep enjoying yr Bikram!

Mala

Ellen and North Star like this.
  15. North Star

Mala and Ellen, thank you so much for your kind encouragement. I just popped some ibuprofen…my pain levels over the weekend have definitely crossed the "post work out pain" into conditioned TMS pain. So your encouragement is very timely as I am so ready for positive progress - this past month has been not fun! Right now, I'm just hoping I can participate in the work out tomorrow - I'm shuffling along like I'm 90 years old. GAH! But if it means shuffling, shuffle I will. ;)

Ellen, I love what you said about a major move being a great time to make major changes. That is what I am striving to do.

Mala, rock on with your yoga work! You're doing awesome!

Hugs!

Ellen likes this.
  16. Mala

Mala Well known member

North Star its good to hear u sound positive. Yes the conditioning is a real difficult one but I'm glad u took the ibuprofen rather than allow yrself to suffer. Break that conditioning with everything you have got- meds, exercise, awareness, knowledge, mindfulness. For some, one thing works for others is a combination of things. Show that pain who's the BOSS!
    :punch:

Mala

North Star likes this.