1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A tough ride

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by quasar731, Jun 1, 2012.

1. quasar731

quasar731 Well known member

Hello everyone,

I am finding some of my experiences re: signals in some areas in my body extremely challenging. When it comes to my hips, I do not know when is TMS and when is sheer surgery rehab symptoms. I have a double impingement in my left hip, my operated foot has a plate and 7 screws and have a double surgery in my right hip. Tomorrow will be 2 months ever since I had the foot and hip operations.

Today I went shopping. I was walking like a Japanese Geisha o_O using 'tiny wee' steps. I could not walk normally, my right foot did not allow me. I told myself 'no, I won't take notice' but it did not work. A few days ago I was walking normally. Now I cannot do my typical long steps. When I went to do the groceries' shopping, thank God for the trolley, I threw my body weight on the trolley and was almost carried by it through the isles of the grocery store. I felt like a kid playing with the trolley! The bones at the top of foot (the operated foot) were excruciating. Two days ago and yesterday too my operated foot swelled up. The physio prescribed icing and elevating my foot. It is winter here degrees below '0' and I have my foot in a bucket of ice 4 times a day:eek: .

I managed to bring the swelling down in my foot but had to go on anti-inflammatory medication. My left hip was also highly symptomatic. I felt like yelling my lungs out in frustration. I thought TMS and then I thought...how about if this is just the surgery post effects and the fact that an impingement can interfere with the movement of the left hip? I am so confused!!! I confess...I had to reach for analgesics because I was to the point of tears:( Today is not a brilliant day, tomorrow will be better. Thank you for reading.

2. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

3. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi Quasar,

It sounds like it is hard to tell what is TMS vs. what is pain associated with healing from surgery? Can you check with your doctor to see if the pain you're feeling is normal for this point? It might just be from the surgery in which case it probably won't last long. And if it seems like nothing is really wrong, then you can probably assume it's TMS.

Hope today is going better.

:) Veronica

4. quasar731

Thank you Veronica, I am seeing my Dr this coming week. I will ask him if what I feel is related to surgery. I assume it is because the surgery is recent. However, I am always testing for the possibility of TMS. If the pain diminishes or dissappears when I talk to my mind, then I assume is psychological.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

There are a lot of different symptoms that can pop up as a result of surgery, so asking your doctor if your surgery could be behind your pain is a good idea. At the sametime, treating it as TMS may be beneficial as well, and is definetely worth trying while you wait to see your physician. It is great to hear that you are always testing if TMS is a possibility. Even if this one symptom is not TMS, this is a greally great practice to do. It sounds like the TMS message is really sinking in with you, so keep it up. You are on the right track!

6. quasar731

Thank you Forest, every day I tell myself that I know a little more and I am doing better (though sometimes the evidence appears to the contrary). I take heart in the fact that things may get worse before they get better. So maybe this is a positive sign. Let's face it, this mind strategy sometimes strikes me like 'an alien entity' within me. I am uncovering a psychological game that for many years has been operating under cover. So I assume the mind 'may not like it':(...who knows! whatever! I just keep going, onwards and upwards. Backwards and downwards is not for me and I do not wish it for any body else either. I cannot continue to live as I have for the last few years.

You are going to laugh at this but a few months ago I said to my physio that if someone told me that to get rid of my pain I had to get up at midnight, dress in a white chiffon gown, head to the chicken house and roll on chicken manure, I would do it. So determined I am to get rid of this:D

Have a nice Sunday!

Beach-Girl likes this.
  7. Beach-Girl

This is a great way to put what is happening. I can relate to this sentence a lot. Under-cover mind games.

Yes you are. And where did you read about rolling in a chicken house in a chiffon dress? Might have to give that one a go. (not)

BG

8. quasar731

Hey BG... I would love to say that this was my idea but it is not mine. I tell you how it came about... when I was fifteen I used to get in these...well...let's say depressive moods:oops:. There were other reasons for which my teenage years became a tad difficult aside from going through the natural teen blues. The behaviors of the adult population in my household had the potential to depress anyone, let alone a teenager. Anyone, God has always been so gracious to me placing lovely people, friends, neighbors, school mates, etc to cheer me up.

The story about rolling in the 'chicken house manure in a white chiffon dress' comes from an ex-neighbor of mine. Amalia was the mother of a friend of mine then, another teenager. Seeing me upset and downcast about my hair, she told me a story of how she used to dislike the fact that she had a freckly face. Amalia was a gorgeous red hair woman, the freckles I thought made her even more beautiful. However, Amalia did not think so when she was 13 years old. Anyhow, her parents decided to do a special celebration for Amalia's 13th birthday since she was becoming a teen. Her mother designed and made this most beautiful white chiffon dress (this was in the late 40s). However, Amalia was concerned about her freckles and that she could not cover them for the party. Her brother (a wicked and witty 18 year old):cool: , told her that he knew that there was a way to get rid of them for the day but after the birthday the freckles would return. Amalia was up to the challenge. So he carefully explained the wicked operating procedure to get rid of freckles. He said 'ok Amalia, what you have to do is the following: you know that beautiful white chiffon dress that mom made for you for the birthday party? You have to wear it before. But you must wait until 12 midnight, walk quietly to the chicken house (they had heaps of chicken), throw yourself on the ground, roll on the chicken manure and then return to the house, get in bed with the dress on and go to sleep. The freckles will be gone by then'. Amalia was concerned about the operating procedure but after much thought she decided to go ahead and do it. And she did it. The next morning, when her mother came to wake her up to go to school she found Amalia in very poor form, dressed in chiffon splattered with chicken manure. I give you permission to roll on the floor and laugh. It is good for TMS:D

Have a terrific week!

9. Beach-Girl

Great story - and I DID laugh out loud. Glad I was the oldest!!

BG

10. quasar731

Yes, indeed we must be grateful for being the older siblings;). I am also the oldest and I still have memories of given my young sibling some grief (which I so deeply regret:( ). Thank God he does not hold it against me:rolleyes:. Just like Amalia's brother, I also had a wicked sense of humor. I still do have a sense of humour but I have certainly stopped the practical jokes of my youth (as we call them here in Oz). It is a caring for the self esteem of others' sense of humour:)

Happy Wednesday to you!