1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Advice RSI, possibly Thoroic Outlet Syndrome, Pyriformis

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by karikari, Mar 11, 2017.

1. karikari

karikari New Member

Hi all,

I'm going to try and keep this short, sweet and honest. I guess I'm looking for that quick miracle cure and I haven't even read the book completely....Guess I'm avoiding it because I don't want to believe in TMS way or maybe I doubt it will work. What I do know is that I always seem to be focusing on.something physical....I remember stomach stuff, then pyriformis syndrome and now RSI/Thoriac Outlet Syndrome. I don't want to believe anything is wrong with me....So I dip in and out of the books and forums....But I've come to the conclusion this will always bug me....So I need to tackle this stuff head on now. Literally I'm driving my husband mad with my incessant questions about health. I might as well be a parrot!

When I was younger (20s)..Life was a breeze....No physical issues....Then one week I was crazy ill with some kind of stomach upset....It really freaked me out....As I'd never had anything happen to me before...I couldn't believe it....It's like I'd suddenly realised I was human. I was scared and fearfull of living and I guess in a way that has always been with me....The fact anything could happen at any time

Since then I seem to I constantly focus on physical things.....And if I'm not....I'm expecting that something will crop up. At the moment I'm dealing with plantir flantis with RSI/Thoriac Outlet Syndrome. I keep umming and ooing whether I really even have this.....Have I caused this by using the mobile phone too much.... Its a pretty cramped position....I can use it for hours....Not healthy I think. Many forearms ache and pinky and ring finger every now and then. Mostly on right side but sometimes on left as well.I had a neck x-ray....Everything was fine. Physio couldn't find anything wrong....Nothing nerve related...Said it could be RSI or thoracic outlet syndrome....and yet I feel I want to go further and do more tests....It's almost like I want people to find something wrong....Or I'm worried they will....I can't accept there is nothing wrong.

I think I'm a bit of perfectionist. I definitely hold things in slot....Living with my in-laws was stressful, my dad was abusive and I remember bottling stuff up, my mum is pretty critical and I don't always have the best relationship with her. Sometimes I put myself first over my kids and husband...me and my physical issues....I've got a few grudges that ive got against my sister in law and hubs aunt....It's like they have let go....But I can't properly....I've tried...And thought I've done it....Expecting all the physical stuff to go in a day. Can you tell I'm one of those people that doesn't want any physical issues and a quick solution.

So my question to you all is what are my next steps....I guess the first one should definitely be read the book. I have the book Steve O wrote and Healing Back Pain by Sarno.

Never thought I'd be asking for help....But sometimes you need it.

By the way I have noticed that if one thing goes then another replaces it...The hand thing is winning over the foot thing at the moment..

Many thanks,

Kris

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hello Kris,

I was diagnosed with RSI and carpal tunnel. I did physical therapy, had x-rays done, saw an orthopedist. In sheer desperation, I did several google searches and came across RSI / carpal tunnel success stories with Dr. Sarno's methods.

I read the Divided Mind and followed all of the recommendations. It took about 8-12 weeks but I did recover @ 85%. I had to deal with a lot of anxiety in the process. In the end it was worth it. I kept my job and my hands are mostly fine now.

Good luck. You have to believe in TMS and really commit to doing the work if you want to see big differences in your pain.

Best,
    AC

karikari likes this.
  3. mkdragonfly

mkdragonfly New Member

Kris,
    I'm relatively new to this; I just listened to a dialogue between Alan Gordon and someone about our attention to pain and the feelings we attach to it. I found it helpful.
    Click here to download the mp3 audio

karikari likes this.
  4. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter

Kris - my story is similar to yours. lots of different issues with the most recent being RSI and the physical therapist i went to thought i had TOS. right after that i started reading The Divided Mind and dove into the TMS regimen. doing much much better, getting close to being cured hallelujah :). personally, i think TOS is bs. it's just like fibromyalgia. they don't know how to cure it so it ends up being "managed". they're both TMS. my advice to you is dive into TMS wholeheartedly.

Sammie and karikari like this.
  5. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Kris,

Welcome to the forums! All the syndromes you mention definitely sound like TMS. Plantar fasciitis and RSI are known variants of TMS, and in my opinion as a PT, thoracic outlet syndrome definitely is too! Try not to go into this expecting a miracle cure. For most of us, the process of developing a belief and knowledge of TMS takes time and effort...it is the effort of changing your thought patterns and functioning of your brain. This doesn't happen overnight! Know that if you put in the work, the results will come. But it is a process that takes a lot of reflection and effort. Read Sarno, Steve O, Schubiner, Schecter's books and any others that help solidify your belief. Do the SEP or other program you connect with. Get in touch with yourself and your emotions that drove your TMS. Try to go into this process with an open mind, no specific expectations on timeline and a "non-striving" attitude. Easier said than done! Glad you're here.

karikari, Lunarlass66 and PainNoMore like this.
  6. karikari

karikari New Member

Hi,

Thankyou for your advice. You're absolutely right...I'm always aiming for a miracle cure. As you rightly said....Time I knuckles down, quit whining, actually read the books and take a chill pill! Always doubting the doctor and any other health professionals is not a good idea...I tend to almost want to go back so they can find something serious.....its that sentence they say at the end of a consultation whereby they want you to come back if the symptoms continue...To what purpose...More crazy diagnosises and tests I suppose!

I'm going to accept the diagnosis....and get reading! I'll definitely be back once I've read the book and hopefully started journalling and getting in touch with my emotions and feelings. Sometimes I think just self talking helps and I can solve the problem....But I realise I need to put in the work and as you correctly said do the process with an open mind.

Thankyou again for the guidance and taking the time to respond. Much appreciated :)

Kris

MindBodyPT likes this.
  7. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter

Fantastic Kris. good luck and post your progress.

karikari likes this.
  8. karikari

karikari New Member

Hi,

That's good news. I suppose going through ups and downs is part of the process. Definitely going to commit now. Thankyou for responding and giving me the motivation to push forward and start my journey.

Kris

AC45 likes this.
  9. karikari

karikari New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.is there another place I could get hold of it? Thankyou

Kris

10. karikari

karikari New Member

Will do!

Kris

11. karikari

karikari New Member

Sooo my progress report....I am the least impressed with myself. Started off huffing and puffing about everything....and did nothing! Because eventually it went away I can't even recall how. What has happened is this...and I'm going to be honest.

1. The finger ache thing does occasionally pop up but I don't care too much.
    2. Recently I've left my job...with too.much time on my hands....means to much time to think..I'm going nuts with everything but we're doing the house up at the mo so I kinda need some time off to oversea stuff.
    3. Decided to join a Buddhist meditation group...which started off well but my anxiety about everything has gone through the roof. It makes you think and become aware so much....I literally feel like I'm super aware of everything whereas I wasn't before.
    4. I want to to the work (TMS) but at the same time don't...I feel if I do then I'm saying something is wrong with me...when I want to be normal (hope that makes sense).
    5. This forum is like an addiction for me lately...an obsession almost..it's like i.l need an answer for every single thing I feel at any moment. I've screenshots of people's positive comments.
    6. Trying to do positive affirmations makes me feel like I'm doing them because something is wrong with me. They kinda feel fake.
    7. Journalling very rarely. Try to do gratitude entry sometimes.
    8. I dread getting up sometimes because that means I have to think and process stuff in my head. Flipping drives me nuts this thinking lark!
    9. I spend more time on my stupid phone looking at things then ever before.
    10. I'm listening to the Power of Now but even that makes be anxious. I get scared that I'm doing this because I'm not normal or am feeling something in the moment..for instance I might have had some gas, or a headache or anything....but in that moment it drives me crackers...trying to interpret why I'm so focused on it...even though I'm trying to be present. I don't get this stuff regularly so does that mean it's normal sensations?!
    11. If someone says they had eczema or whatever ailment and had a remedy or even if I read it. I have to search for it on this site to see if it is TMS and it was resolved by someone.
    12. I doubt that everything can be TMS. I mean I have a little bit of acidity now and I visited my in-laws a few hours ago and my hubs and me had a big arguement on the journey home. I also had a heavy meal at my in-laws...i.mean am I constantly going to be on high alert about every little sensation in my body? Lately I have a lump in my throat...emotional lump when ever something is happening in my body. I can't even tell what's a normal sensation and what's not...it's like an analysis all the time. It's ever since I started looking into TMS! I mean i'm slouching on the sofa for hours and have a little bit of a sore back....which surely is normal? Or if I go to the loo twice on one day and 5 times the next ....that will be in my head...I think of it as being abnormal. I know how ridiculous i sound. It's pretty pathetic.
    13. It's like i want to have results and be normal but i don't want to get to crazy into looking into TMS and books etc...it's just making me think about everything more!
    14. I only seek reassurance from this site...I try to restrain myself or talking to my husband. For instance, after coming back from my in-laws...I had a bit of acidity on this long trip back home....I was trying the whole...be in the present moment etc ..but when you can feel something how on earth do you float through it and just let it be? I don't get acidity hardly ever but I got caught up in the is it TMS madness or just a normal sensation? I can't interpret everything I do as TMS....some sensations you occasionally have are surely normal?
    15. I sound like a crazy person and I feel like crying now. I'm nearly 40 next year. A grown woman acting like she's never felt anything in her life.

I feel like you all had such hopes with some kind of achievement and I'm coming back with nothing. I'll get there...maybe I need some space to put things into perspective.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Sammie likes this.
  12. Liv

Liv New Member

Hi Kris,
    I just read your post because it mentioned TOS.
    I hope you are doing well, I am extremely new to this journey and am focusing on JournalSpeak (from Nicole Sachs). I totally relate to your level of anxiety and obsession over symptoms.

13. Sammie

Sammie Peer Supporter

Hi Karikari, I have severe anxiety, pain, insomnia, etc. I have been listening to Dan Buglio on line called... Pain Free You! It has encouraged me. On YouTube and Facebook. Give it a try. See what you think?

Hope this helps!

14. tmrsi

tmrsi New Member

Hi Kris, any updates. I've also been diagnosed TOS and am looking for a miracle cure

15. Liv

Liv New Member

KariKari TOS is 100% TMS. There is no such thing as TOS it’s a B.S. diagnosis. There’s nothing wrong with you. I had the same diagnosis....

1. Read Sarno, healing back pain and mind body prescription are my favorite. Also Ozanich. Alan Gordon’s new book is supposed to be great as well.

2. Trust and believe that it’s TMS-because it is.

3. Do whatever you have to do to feel your emotions, I liked doing JournalSpeak from Nicole Sach’s, but it’s not the only way.

4. Mindset-Look up Dan Buglio’s YouTube channel, it’s the mindset of indifference that’s really the key in my opinion, because fear and focus of symptoms keeps them going (nueroplasticity).

5. Movement-exercise daily whatever you love to do, I would also incorporate some easy flow and meditative yoga, and meditation in general, the curable app is a great place to start with that if you are unfamiliar.

6. Live your life-do what you want to do and keep your focus there.