1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alan Gordon' approach vs Dan Buglio

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by amanpervaiz, Sep 26, 2022.

1. amanpervaiz

amanpervaiz New Member

Hi folks,

This question is for folks who have used either Alan Gordon or Dan Buglio's approach when dealing with pain and have gotten better with dealing/ignoring/lessening pain.

Which one do people prefer?

1.) Dan Buglio's approach is not somatic checkins, but every time you observe pain, try to be indifferent, and if not indifferent try to freak out less. Dan Buglio discourages modalities like massage, heat/cold, pain killers etc.

2.) Alan Gordon's approach is more relaxed in which he encourages Somatic Checkins when the pain is low/medium and modalities/avoidance when pain is too much, rather wait for a better opportunity.

Both advocate getting on with our lives as much as we can without pushing to extreme pain.

For me the pain movies around every hour, and intensifies and becomes low on its own. Sometimes sitting is an issue and not standing. Sometimes its the other way around.

Any advice from veterans would be awesome.

Saffron likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This is really the key to doing this work.

No two individuals are alike. You have to do what works for you - maybe it's a combination of both? Or maybe one will work better for emotional distress, the other will work better for everyday stress. That's certainly true for me - although my techniques don't follow either of these specifically. The different things that I do have developed over time, and different things work for me at different times, depending on what's going on. What's going on could be the distress of emotional repression, or the stress of personal responsibilities, or existential anxiety over world affairs.

I wish I had a better answer. The fact is that this work is not linear, it is not black & white, and there is no one true answer for everyone. If there was, believe me, we would all know it!

The good news is that by being patient, committed, and honest with yourself, you will find techniques that resonate with you, and that work for the many different stresses that are thrown at us just by being human in the modern world.

Lily Rose, TG957 and Saffron like this.
  3. amanpervaiz

amanpervaiz New Member

Thank you JanAtheCPA.
    That makes sense. No wonder I could not find a consistent approach on forums because there isn't any that works for all.
    I guess discovering what works for you is also part of the journey.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

I’ve done them all. Sarno 20 years ago.
    Schubiner. Georgie. Alan Seen some. One to one. Nothing has helped migraines. And they are my big problem ☹️

I’m currently refreshing myself on Schubiner and watch all Dans videos. Read Alan twice. Got husband to read it. I cannot do somatic tracking. Just can’t. And I’m not alone. Waking with migraine every morning it would not be possible anyway. Already off the scale pain

The best help I’ve had is Dan. But as a retired psychotherapist and a 20 year veteran of this. I’m quite eclectic. I’d agree. Go with what seems to help (Dan for me but not migraines. Desperate for help on them ). But not contradictory. And I have had to have trigger point therapy in my neck because of damage from Botox. I don’t believe it is a no

Good luck

TG957 likes this.
  5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I am a firm believer in being your own doctor. My method was very eclectic, but it worked for me. I am sure there will be plenty of people for whom it would not work. But the key to all mindbody methods, as @JanAtheCPA pointed out, that we need to learn how to get on with our lives upon realization that our pain is a product of our brain. How we negotiate the way out of pain with our brain is unique to each one of us. There is no single magic pill, unless you developed your own. It makes it harder in some ways, but easier in others. Be brave, be curious, be creative, try what works, throw away what does not!

Luann, Saffron and JanAtheCPA like this.
  6. TG957

I have had migraines since I was a teenager. Since learning about Sarno, I tried many times to do "a Sarno thing" when migraine comes - to no luck. Still, after I got rid of my other chronic pains, they are no longer as bad as they used to be, and I am functional at ~50-70% when they come. I used to be completely disabled by migraines for at least 24 hours, 3-4 times per month. I did discover though that a very specific massage on my upper back along the spine releases some of the pain, and physical activity outdoors also helps. I almost never take painkillers now, and they often don't even seem to make a difference.

Luann, Saffron and JanAtheCPA like this.
  7. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

Hi. I wasn’t doing so badly with them. Until 3 years ago. And already done Sarno etc. thru became every night. They wake me. Never misses. I do medicate because at 72 I would have no life quality. I’ve tried everything. Sore there is a physical aspect. My neck hurts real bad in the mornings too. But mind body. No effect. And no ST. I’m asleep when it hits. I’m having some success with fibro crap. IBS. Anxiety etc. but migraine no. I believe in MB. But for migraines I do have some doubt. Glad you’ve got improvement

8. TG957

Here is something that perplexes me: I had no migraines during 2 years when I had CRPS. Then they slowly returned. This would be a clear sign that they are TMS, but go figure! All I can suggest, keep trying! I still do.

Saffron likes this.
  9. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

Absolutely. Nothing else has worked. I have fibro. They came with hormones. Never gone. Just worsened.