1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Already convinced of TMS .... so what now?....

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by fraggle, Jul 3, 2018.

1. fraggle

fraggle New Member

I've known for the past three years that my lower back pain is related directly to my anxiety. So I'm wondering how the diagnosis of TMS will work for me? It's not a revelation to me at all. It just has a name now. I'm wondering how the TMS program will work for me. I'm so desperate for relieft, part of me wants to believe but part of me is skeptical.

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

The only way to truly know is to dive in. Doubts are entirely natural especially if you've tried other ways of recovering with no success. People use the different programs here and heal, there are many success stories celebrating this. Maybe to boost your faith and quash your scepticism you could spend some time on the Success Story Forum. You'll find everyone has the exact same concerns in the beginning but with time they are worked through and resolved.

Given that your bĂȘte noire is anxiety you'll probably benefit from reading about and listening to Claire Weekes. There are free resources on this site. Simply click on her name and you'll be taken to her page on the wiki.

Welcome to the forum.

fraggle likes this.
  3. dacello

dacello New Member

Dear fraggle,
    If I may add to plum's wise words, for me the most important realization about TMS was the assertion by Dr. Sarno that one does not have to eliminate stress from our lives or our anxieties. That it is a distraction mechanism and that there is nothing wrong with one's back, and therefore, even if one is anxious, one should move and work too regain their normal life-style. While anxiety and repressed emotions (especially accumulated from the past, not the ones in the now) are the cause, they work through an easy-to-break deception mechanism - if your concious mind asserts its rational superiority, the unconscious will give up.
    So, work on fooling the deception: start ignoring your pain and moving despite it. Then you will become less and less anxious and break the vicious cycle. Explore the site - I am pain free today because of it!

plum and Ellen like this.
  4. fraggle

fraggle New Member

Thank you dacello! That lifted a lot of weight off my shoulders. Knowing that one does not have to eliminate stress or anxiety from one's life is a huge relief. I wondered how I would ever achieve a stress-free or anxiety-free life, it seemed impossible. I will keep on keeping on, and try and figure out how to ignore this damn distraction!

5. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi fraggle. Welcome! Dacello is right. None of us can ever be anxiety free, but we can still achieve relief by challenging our subC .
    The first book I ever read about TMS was Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno. It changed my life, not once, but twice! It's a good place to start if yu're looking for basic info on TMS.
    Blessings on your journey.
    Gigi

fraggle likes this.