1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Any other nurses out there?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by EliseRose, May 21, 2018.

1. EliseRose

EliseRose New Member

Since finding out about TMS last year my life has changed significantly, I’ve got my old life back, plus now I’m so much more in tune with my emotions.
    I work as a nurse in a hospital setting in Australia and occasionally I come across patients that I believe are suffering with TMS also.
    I’m struggling to know what to do in these instances, mind body syndrome is not well known or accepted in western medicine and I struggle to know whether to bring it up with them, and if I do whether to discuss it professionally or personally.
    I sometimes fear repercussions as this is not generally accepted practice for chronic pain patients in hospital.

Do any other nurses have any guidance for me?

Click#7 likes this.
  2. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

Hi Elise! I am an RN, although taking a brief time at home to raise 2 children. I don't see the problem in mentioning TMS to patients. Obviously we can't diagnose them. Part of being a nurse is keeping up to date with evidence based practice and thanks to Dr. Schubiner and Alan Gordon, this approach is becoming more and more valid even in western medicine.

I would bring up the topic personally. And then give them the website to unlearnyourpain, leaving it in their hands. Even if the message heals just 1 patient, that's a whole life changed! :)

Click#7 likes this.
  3. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

What's wrong with just making a suggestion of reading some books ? You are not making a medical diagnosis esp when back pain is a symptom. You can always say there are some great books out there with people that struggle with back pain, foot pain , hip etc that have had great results from reading and absorbing the knowledge of TMS. I was given the book by a physical therapist who had an open mind herself. I had to give the book back to her and thanked her.

4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

There's a lot of research on pain coming out of Australia, as well as ISTDP therapists. I suggest you contact Rose Hoey. She was a nurse who became and ISTDP therapist and I think she works with nurses a great deal. She has a FB group called TMS Roundtable. I'm sure you could message her there.

TG957 likes this.