1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

anyone saw great improvements with changing diet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, Apr 5, 2019.

1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

i heard zero carb diet and keto are both good for increasing libido, energy, etc? zero carbs seems like a bland diet tho.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

No. Only temporarily due to placebo effect. Eating a healthy, balanced diet of real food works best for me for overall health. If I need to lose a few pounds, I eliminate carbs with a high glycemic index (bread, pasta, potatoes, etc) for awhile.

Remember that treating TMS is about focusing on psychological issues and addressing those.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I've heard people rave about an all raw diet --in terms of energy and aliveness, but have not tried it.

Concerning TMS, I want to say that I quit all sugar as a treatment for 6 months or more, and it had no effect on my pain. I want to post this, because many turn to diet in the false hope of addressing TMS symptoms.

4. stevow7

thanks a lot for replying!

5. stevow7

6. stevow7

thanks guys. yeah i just hear people normalizing hormones by changing to zero carbs or keto. they also see improvement in energy. some also report they get less libido while on the diet but after some time (months) the libido returns much better than before starting the diet. weird.

7. Sofa

Sofa Well known member

Hey, my personal view is that diet improvements can't HURT libido and energy! We are what we eat, and it's also important to get plenty of rest and don't sweat the small stuff. Throw in some exercise and we should be golden. ;)

Kittyruns, JanAtheCPA and stevow7 like this.
  8. stevow7

thanks for replying!

Sofa likes this.
  9. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

You can't heal your emotional self if you feed your physical self with crap. By crap, I mean processed food, fast food, empty calories, and anything under the category of fake food (fake sugars and fake fats, for example). You can't feel good about yourself if you're eating this shit.

I don't go in for fad diets or restrictive diets of any kind, but I do believe in a healthy diet, a balanced diet, whole foods, a wide variety and moderate amounts. For environmental, health, and partly political reasons, I emphasize organic choices.

When it comes to treats, they are in moderation, but I make the most of the treat by eating the real thing. If I'm going to indulge myself with bacon, you better believe it ain't made from turkey or soy. If I eat ice cream, it's real cream, and nothing else other than the best flavorings. If I taste a cookie and realize it's not made with butter, more often than not I will not eat the rest of it, because it's not worth the calories. You will not find a butter substitute in my house. I've learned that whole milk products are healthier than low- or non-fat ones, and much more delicious. I think gluten-free is bullshit for all but the very few with actual celiac disease. Dairy intolerance is more common, but you don't just develop it out of nowhere - that's more likely to be TMS. IBS is obviously TMS, and I don't think anyone doing this work would disagree with that.

To slightly paraphrase Michael Pollan: Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

~Jan

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    TrustIt, Dfw, HattieNC and 3 others like this.
  10. stevow7

hey thanks for answering. yeah i get you. i have a healthy diet, but tbh im very strict with what i eat. yeah it’s healthy but i take it to the extreme. heck i even say no when someone wants to cook for me even if its healthy. the only “unhealthy” ( “” because some people claim it’s unhealthy. i truly don’t know if it is or not but i still eat it anyways.) thing that i eat is bread and its organic with flax seeds and no high fructose corn syrup lol. i might go for some mantecaditos (don’t know how to say it in english) but only eat one and it must be recently made. i ask because i was thinking of dropping the carbs and bread but blah. i like my bread with peanut butter :)

11. AnonymousNick

AnonymousNick Peer Supporter

I used to get really obsessed with a healthy diet and supplements and everything. Fasting was a thing as well. I've heard it's great for some people, but for me it meant cramping and misery. Then I would order a deep-dish pizza, and although cheese was a fear in terms of constipation, I had no problem with it on the way out. :) Pizza is not the cure for anything, but letting go of some of the health anxiety and the supposed weakness of my body was important. The psychology of what you are going through is so much more important than diet when you are dealing with TMS.

stevow7 and westb like this.
  12. stevow7

13. stevow7

guys im having bad news. i still get dry, cracked hands when preparing and eating bread. gets worst after eating. it always happens at night when eating bread. i try to avoid it but i cant even close my hands.

thoughts?

14. Andy Bayliss

Hi stevow7,

I can only add that every time I get in my car to start driving I have a sensation of dry lips, and I want to find some lip balm. I have been noticing this association between an activity and a sensation. I used to always use the lip balm at that moment, and never thought of the sensation being triggered by something. If I don't use the lip balm, I forget all about it in about 20 seconds. Sensing into my body, there is a sense of apprehension, and preparing to deal with the world which arises in a barely noticeable way right when that dry lips sensation happens.

So there might be some relationship to what your noticing, in my experience: pure conditioning, or "anticipatory response" or what-have-you.

Obviously some things dry out skin. But bread seems pretty benign unless perhaps you were a baker making lots of it.

Andy B

stevow7 likes this.
  15. stevow7

thanks a lot for replying andy!

yeah im going to continue believing this is tms. today i ate bread and tbh my hands are less dry

16. Andy Bayliss

Yes! Write that down on your "evidence sheet."

stevow7 likes this.
  17. stevow7

haha got it. thanks!

18. BinLA

BinLA Peer Supporter

I'll just throw my two cents in here, but admittedly... I'm still a work in progress...

I don't think we heal the overall condition with diet changes. (Stress disorder/TMS/etc.)

However, there ARE things then when I eat them... bother me, and have my whole life. Conversely, there ARE things (like taking a fiber supplement) that seem to help very much.
    And there ARE things that if I avoid (citrus/alcohol) I can generally avoid IBS/Gastritis for the most part.
    I can journal and think emotionally all I want... but a black bean burrito with hot salsa and a vodka martini is still going to give me stomach issues.

So while I'm a massive believer in TMS and all mindbody science... I also think that our bodies do reject certain things and prefer others, and a *non-fear based* approach to make sensible decisions in this regard certainly helps... as does a smart diet that keeps your macros/micros and weight in check.

stevow7 likes this.
  19. stevow7

sorry for posting late. thanks for replying!

20. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

Clean eating saved my life.
    Use food as your medicine.
    Real food is the only food.

TMS or not, you can’t feel better as a whole, while eating “crap”. Look at the ingredients before you buy, examples include—chocolate syrup, not real—pancake syrup, not real—etc etc. Full fat foods are not the enemy.

I could go on & on, but the real point is, our bodies/minds have to be taken care of as an entirety, inclusive of what we put in it. The best book I found addressing fake foods & the full fat “lies” is called “The fat fallacy”. It’s an older book, but worth it. I firmly believe that overdose of sugar and fake foods does in fact have an effect on TMS flare ups. Since I have personally experienced this, I stay away from high sugar and fake foods.

Sita and Lainey like this.