1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alan G. Are my MRI findings meaningful or incidental?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Jacqui9, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Jacqui9

Jacqui9 Peer Supporter

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I have had excruciating pain in my right thigh and calf. I have had multiple CT Scans, MRIs and X-rays. I have been hospitalized twice. This is what was found: trace amounts of edema in hip and pelvic muscles on that side and a trace amount of fluid at the right subgluteus medius and subgluteus minimus bursae. I was given opiates and a muscle relaxant. The doctors think I might have torn a muscle and this would heal eventually. I have not fallen or injured myself. This started with my right calf hurting, then my lower back, then my right thigh and calf.I fit the personality profile for TMS perfectly. I had a very difficult childhood. With this diagnosis how do I know if I have TMS? Thank you. Jacqui

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016
  2. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hey Jacqui,
    It doesn't sound like they found very much, but it would be important to consult with a TMS physician to better determine whether the findings are significant or incidental.

The brain can generate any physical symptom in any part of the body, so it certainly can be TMS. That being said, the best way to A.) Get as much evidence as possible, and B.) Help eliminate doubt (which is the fuel for TMS symptoms) is to consult with a TMS physician.

Here's a link for state-by-state TMS physicians:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist

Even if there isn't one near you, it's often worth it to travel for a day or two to get that confirmation.

Alan

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Jacqui9

Jacqui9 Peer Supporter

Alan,

Thank you very much.

Jacqui