1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Back again!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Gigi, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hello friends! I’m no stranger to TMS or the lovely Dr. Sarno. I've recovered from debilitating back pain, foot pain, and various other maladies dating back to the 1980s.

I retired early from my job (middle school teacher and librarian) last June. Kids were becoming more violent, admin was doing nothing... My husband was the impetus for the change, stating that the job was consuming me. I slowly began to realize that he was right.

In recent years, my TMS has jumped on the injury bandwagon. Sprained wrist? Takes months to heal. In April of 2018 I had a nasty fall at work and really tore up my knee. That took over a year to recover from, and it only happened when I realized that TMS had taken hold.

Most recently, my insomnia has increased by an order of magnitude. My husband suggested that I talk to my subC, which is "killing you." Light bulb! After realizing that it was TMS, I slept for the first time in weeks.

But I'm still struggling. I'm scolding my subC etc, but am profoundly sad that I have a subC that seems bent on taking me out!! I’m trying to deal with the feelings of fear. I also need some support.

Thank you, friends.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    nowa and plum like this.
  2. Smokey73

Smokey73 Peer Supporter

Gigi, I am so sorry you are suffering when just retired, you should be having fun. The guided meditations on self compassion on Kristen Neff's website have been very helpful to me. You are going thru a tough time right now. You will feel better soon.

nowa, plum and Gigi like this.
  3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Beautiful Gigi,

Maybe now is the time for a flood of self-compassion. You’ve experienced a major life change so it’s no surprise that TMS would come calling. You know how it goes so give yourself permission to simply be with the changes, the emotions, the pain.

We’re here for you. Rest now. This too shall pass. It always does.

much love sweetheart,

plum xxx

nowa likes this.
  4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Oh, I've missed you, dear Plum!!
    Thanks for the encouragement. ;)

nowa and plum like this.