1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Back spasm question

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Fan, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Fan

Fan New Member

Please can I ask a question about lower back muscle spasms as I really and absolutely know I have TMS and have improved so much in so many areas of my symptoms, but the one my brain still likes to throw at me is lower back muscle spasms if I turn wrong or bend and twist or carry something wrong. I know I have nothing wrong with my back and am learning to not fear these flares so much BUT am having a mini spasm at mo and I just want to check in and ask for information on this as everything i read about back pain doesn’t really mention muscle spasm but that is what happens when my brain thinks I shouldn’t make a certain movement so it gives me a sharp pain and my muscles go into painful spasm but is this still classed as normal TMS and is this what you all talk about when you discuss lower back pain? Do you mean muscle spasms or is this entirely different? I’m a classic TMS candidate and fit the description 100% and am using Unlearn Your Pain exercises which have helped with my functional digestive issues and overactive bladder and various foot and elbow pain. Thanks for all your input, this group helps me so much.

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Muscle spasms are less common TMS symptoms, but they are TMS. I had them, they are gone now.

Fan likes this.
  3. Fan

Fan New Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Do I need to work on my reactions and feeling associated with the movement prior to the sharp pain that sets off the spasm rather than the spasm itself? It’s a tricky one because I know there’s nothing wrong with my back but getting over my fear of the spasm is harder as they are so painful and can last a couple of weeks and restrict movement and everyday activities severely …..

4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Once I had a back spasm so bad I fell to the ground. The worst one was the one at the bottom of my feet. Excruciatingly painful.

Regarding spasms, here’s what I wrote in Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain:

“The following are other physical manifestations of tension that I have observed.

1. Spasms: When a person is agitated about something and, consciously or unconsciously, represses those thoughts and feelings, they can manifest themselves as muscle spasms in various parts of the body. Spasm is the involuntary, often powerful, contraction of muscles.

a. Bronchial asthma: This is a condition of the lung characterized by widespread narrowing of the airways due to spasm of the smooth muscles.[1] A professor who suffered from seven years of chronic bronchitis recovered rapidly following the techniques discussed in the upcoming chapters.

b. Angina: One of the causes of angina is spasm of coronary arteries, in which blood vessels narrow suddenly for a short time, leading to reduction of blood flow and chest pain. [2]

c. Hiccups: The diaphragm helps us breathe. However, when it goes into spasm, we experience hiccups.[3]

d. Leg cramps: These usually happen at night and are another manifestation of tension.

e. Spastic colon: The name says it all.

f. Facial tics: These are caused by spasm of the facial muscles.”

Something is making you really agitated leading to spasms. However, like other TMS symptoms, not fearing it or letting it frustrate you will eventually make it go away.