1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Beginning to think that neuropathy is the new back pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jimnat7, May 31, 2018.

1. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

Been dealing with neuropathies in my feet for 2 years. No cause can be found. Hurts like he'll but very inconsistent. Sometimes numb sometimes painful sometimes hot. The more attention I pay to it the worse it gets. When focused on something else much less painful. Behaves a lot like the back pain I had years ago. Certain things make it feel better while others make it feel worse. Just thinking out loud. Thanks.

Nzombro likes this.
  2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Hi Jim been going threw same thing for 8 years good days bad days tried everything Dr dont know what its was diagnosied by a tms dr here in boston as tms ...but i feel he thinks its something else get alot of mix signals on this journey

3. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

It can be hard to believe that it's tms but it started right at a time of great stress for me. I think once I am fully convinced its tms then it will go away. At first i thought it was als then ms. Now I tjink its benign cramp fasiculation syndrome which i feel is still tms.

4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I was convinced I had small fiber neuropathy; I don't. My profile has a comprehensive list of the symptoms I experienced - they were all TMS. This is 100% fixable!

Regardless of whether one has true nerve damage or not, one can retrain their brain to stop accepting continuous pain signals. Neuroplasticity techniques have successfully rid neuropathy patients of their pain, as detailed here: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/health-science/training-the-brain-to-beat-pain/news-story/45ad7b7daaaf3c4bbbab6c76b0190ac7 (Nocookies)

This article mentions chronic low-back pain from nerve injury and inflammatory damage, diabetic neuropathy, some cancer pain, abdominal pain, neck degeneration pain, amputation, trauma to the brain and spinal cord, pelvic floor pain, inflammatory bowel, irritable bowel, bladder pain, arthritis, lupus, trigeminal neuralgia, multiple sclerosis pain, post-infectious pain, nerve injuries, neuropathic pain, some central pain, phantom limb pain, degenerative disc disease, pain from failed back surgery and pain from nerve root injury, etc. Personally, I have hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos which causes all types of symptoms, and I can tell you that 95%+ of them are worsened by powerful emotions.

There's nothing to lose - structural or not! Additionally, my profile touches on the techniques that successfully rid me on my pain. Just remember that your pain doesn't have to be permanent, and it can go away. Don't be afraid, don't get hung up on what happened in your past, and live your life as peacefully as possible. Our bodies are designed to heal, but they also respond to the emotions we're experiencing right now. You said your pain has periods where it's not as significant - take this as a sign that your body is simply responding to you. Tell it that you're ready for peace.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Boston Redsox likes this.
  5. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

Thanks so much for this article I will read it carefully tomorrow. I was convinced I had tms again until I went to a neurologist who said neuropathy and did an emu which was abnormal. He didn't seem very competent but it's hard to get the emg result out of my mind. I have a tms personality, had the life stressors, and have had tms before yet I chose to believe someone who didn't seem too sure of himself. Cant wait to read this article more closely. I know that my mind can and has produced many amazing symptoms over the years. This is probably just the next level of symptoms. Thanks so much.

6. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

7. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

They are not accurate

Dorado likes this.
  8. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

Thanks

9. Dorado

Many people have had something show up on their EMG, yet they still were able to beat the nerve pain.

john1982 likes this.
  10. Marinedad

Like me i had nothing show up ..well they said my left arm had bad carpel tunnel ..and I told them.it was the only thing that wasn't hurting...this was done at a major hospital in boston

Dorado and Lizzy like this.
  11. Dorado

What's funny is that some people have a "positive" EMG, only to later have it be repeated by a different doctor, and a negative result appears.

The accuracy is definitely questionable. Either way, remember nerve pain is beatable - whether someone has true nerve damage or absolutely zero nerve damage whatsoever. Get the results out of your head and know that the pain doesn't have to be permanent!

john1982 and Click#7 like this.
  12. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes. I was diagnosed with entrapped nerve, Tarsal Tunnel, and finally neuropathy, based on long-term pain, and none of this was true. Idiopathic neuropathy is, no doubt, TMS.

Dorado likes this.
  13. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

Thanks. I think the bad test results are the only thing in my way. Every other test was perfect. I'm also very functional. Have had days where pain is 2/10 or 8/10 depending on how much attention I give it and what is going on in my lifevstress wise.

14. Dorado

Jimnat, I would take Andy B's post to heart and disregard your EMG. His story is perfect for you and should provide great comfort. If your pain goes up and down that much based on attention and stress, I believe we can say you're dealing with TMS. :)

Stop focusing on and fearing the pain - that's the key to healing. Live your life fully again.

Personally, I have a congenital and genetic connective tissue disorder (hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos). MANY of my symptoms could be blamed on the Ehlers-Danlos as it's well known for causing severe autonomic nervous system dysfunction, but you know what? The minute I started living my life without fear and obsession again, the symptoms all went away.

You will be free of pain again. You aren't right now because you're still scared and focused on the symptoms, which reinforces to the opportunistic brain that they're a welcome distraction. Be patient and live life freely again.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    john1982, cdub and Snowman like this.
  15. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

Great advice. I will try to apply it.

cdub likes this.
  16. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

It's like any test...MRI's, CT's etc....it depends on who's reading the test..you are SO right.

cdub and Dorado like this.
  17. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

Thank you for this article. I get it. I have done imaging before but I didn't know how to apply it to chronic pain. I will try visualizing the picture of a normal brain vs. Chronic pain brain. I think it will work. As you said it doesn't matter what I have or don't have. I could chase that unicorn for ever. What matters is that I have created chronic pain neuronal pathways that I must and can alter. I will heal. Thank you all. Thank you.

18. Marinedad

I been trying this for 8 years...sking rock climbing running and my feet still burn and sting

19. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

Have you tried the visualization techniques Caulfield references in his post. Sounds promising whether you have tms, neuropathy or both.

20. Marinedad

Tried for 16 months