1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Can anyone please give a summary /concrete action plan of Alan Gordon's pain recovery program.

Discussion in 'Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program' started by kalyan860, Apr 8, 2021.

1. kalyan860

kalyan860 New Member

I finished the 21 day multimedia pain recovery program but am still confused on what exactly to do daily?
    some things I could make a list of are

1. Lose the fear and resentment and despair about symptoms/pain.
    2.Use somatic tracking daily..but for how long though? should you body scan each part of body one by one or should you just attend to whatever sensation in the whole body is prominent?
    3. systematic desensitisation exercise..again for how long?
    4. cognitive soothing..when and for how long exactly?
    5. Fostering joy..how exactly? smile more etc
    6. Empowerment..live life as if there is no pain thus challenging the pain.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

kalyan860

Welcome to this life-changing work! Glad you're here.

I think it is most helpful if you contemplate these areas lightly, and ask yourself the very questions you ask us. How can I? How often? In what way? By gently reading and rereading these ideas you may be surprised to find the answers yourself. I emphasize the "yourself" part because partly we get into TMS because we don't have an inner compass of what our needs are, and how we actually feel.

In this work there are no exact formulas. It is more about attuning to yourself, your own guidance and needs, your own path to more inner and outer clarity, understanding, compassion.

You might take one of the questions above and make a prompt for yourself:

"One way I can foster more joy in my life is _______________" See what what comes to you, without expectation. You could ask yourself this one every day and let yourself be surprised by the answer ---and then see if you can take the action to give this to yourself.

As far as "how long?" on some of these practices, you could start by setting a timer for 5 minutes for each. As you tune in more and become more adept, you might simply do one of the practices until there is a "felt shift" in your body or emotions, or sense of self.

The point to much of this is to become less reactive about your TMS situation, to learn to pour less "fuel on the fire."

While my instruction is meant to encourage you, and "relax" about it, if you want more guidance, specifically, I found this, which may be quite helpful.

https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Reader%27s_Guide_to_the_Alan_Gordon_TMS_Recovery_Program (Reader's Guide to the Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program)

There are also the Curable Ap, Howard Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain, Schechter's workbooks, and our own, free "Structured Education Program."

Andy

Bliss, birder and Ellen like this.
  3. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

Thanks for this one! I was looking for this as well.