1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Carpal Tunnel Symptoms

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Jim D., Sep 14, 2022.

1. Jim D.

Jim D. Peer Supporter

In October 2021, as I was beginning preparations for making holiday chocolates for my small business, I gradually developed pain in my right hand, the hand I use most in the process of creating chocolates. It was very scary. I wrote to all on my customer list explaining that I would not be able to make as many Christmas chocolates as usual. I went to my primary care physician, and of course he gave a probable diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. In spite of my mentions of stress as a factor in many diseases in our encounters, he always ignores me and heads for his arsenal of physical diagnoses. But I knew that CTS is a common diagnosis for what is actually TMS. To state the obvious, it is very difficult to move forward with trying to treat symptoms as psychogenic when every word you hear or read says otherwise. To cite one small example: I went to the farmers' market to buy bread and mentioned my symptoms to the two bakers (since they asked about Christmas chocolates). In unison, they said they both had had CTS, had the surgery, and were cured. Get the surgery! they advised. But I persevered in what I believed was the true diagnosis (it was a fairly easy connection to make: extreme stress over making several thousand chocolates by myself and terrible pain in the most crucial part of my body for the endeavor).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2022
    TG957 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Jim,
    Do I have your permission to publish your story on the Thank you, Dr. Sarno site? Link is below:

http://www.thankyoudrsarno.org/ (Thank You, Dr. Sarno)

3. Jim D.

Jim D. Peer Supporter

Yes, please do. I apologize for not doing this myself (as you suggested not long ago). Does making chocolates count as even a flimsy excuse? I thought not. Seriously, I sometimes think I shy away from talking too much about "cures." Probably a fear that the symptoms might come back if I give them too much attention.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. TG957

Making chocolates is the best of excuses - from a chocaholic on behalf of many other chocaholics!

Also, there is no such thing as "cure" in the world of TMS. You heal by taking your own life in your own chocolate - covered hands. "Cure" is when they give you a magic steroid injection, but we know how well that works :=).

5. TG957

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I switched PCP docs at Kaiser until I found one who is willing to engage in a mindbody discussion of my health issues.
    dancea

TG957 likes this.
  7. stradivarius

stradivarius Peer Supporter

So glad you recovered Jim! Please could you repost your success story link as it leads to a blank page. Many thanks!

8. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

LOL, @stradivarius - that was a bookmark link which actually referred to this thread (it was the same number) so you're already here (there?) :D. I still haven't figured out how bookmark links work in different scenarios, but in this case I will just eliminate that sentence since it's not needed.