1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Cost Sarno charged for his lectures; cost Rashbaum and other TMS doctors charge

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tmrsi, Apr 19, 2021.

1. tmrsi

tmrsi New Member

just watched the film "all the rage" and was blown away by a lot of the video footage of Sarno

I was wondering if the lectures/seminars Sarno used to hold at NYU cost anything? Meaning, did he charge patients to attend those lectures? Only reason I ask is because I heard of someone making an appointment with Doctor rashbaum at NYU and his series of TMS lectures run about $1500 and are not covered by insurance, which seems pretty expensive. Curious if anyone has gone to either person's lecture, or someone else's lectures that were in a different price point

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    miffybunny likes this.
  2. tmrsi

tmrsi New Member

Apologies for any typos, dictating using Dragon

3. tmrsi

tmrsi New Member

and if the lectures rashbaum does are helpful above and beyond reading all of the free or low cost TMS info + books by Sarno and others

4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe Dr. Sarno held groups during the 90's and they probably were not so expensive back then. Personally I don't recommend spending that much and I met Dr. Rashbaum. Really nice man and highly credentialed but he didn't have that "it" factor. You have a few options...there are free programs (like the one on the wiki) and Curable app and of course the books. It's very doable to do the work on your own. If you're struggling or hit a plateau, I think coaches are the best for this (you may only need one or 2 sessions, or a few sessions) because it's 1 on 1 and not super expensive. Another option is doing more intensive therapy if you have deeper seated issues (trauma history etc.) with an ISTDP therapist. That is longer term and can be very expensive and most insurances don't cover this kind of therapy. Most therapists and psychologists are incredibly expensive imo. I do think most people fit in that middle category and most people would benefit from a couple of coaching sessions. Personally I had therapy for over a year but I had extensive issues lol! At that time I needed the support. I was kind of an extreme case though and there weren't as many options at the time. I'm grateful for it though and it was worth every penny to help get my life back. I still had to do the work. No course, or coach, or therapist can do it for you. If you are most interested in a course, I believe Dr. Schubiner offers them and he's tops!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    tmrsi, FredAmir and birder like this.
  5. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

I agree fully. Most what you will hear in a lecture like that is available already for free. If you need a diagnosis, then by all means see a TMS doctor. Otherwise, first make your mind up that you will overcome TMS and will be absolutely pain-free, then learn all you can and take action to get well.

tmrsi likes this.
  6. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have seen it time and over: people go to the TMS doctors and therapists forever, but the only thing that brings them healing is when they finally start believing in themselves and become their own doctors.

Healing can only come from within, that is the main difference between healing and cure. There is no TMS pill, instead, you have to put yourself through a very hard emotional work, but rewards are so much bigger than from taking a pill!

7. tmrsi

tmrsi New Member

That makes a lot of sense, thank you. I know what you mean about the "it" factor – even just watching footage of Sarno you could see he had it, And you and Fred and TG are emphasizing the right thing – that you really have to do the work yourself, this information is out there and there's no magic bullet, lecture, pill, or practitioner who is able to do the work for you, you just have to chip away at it every day.
    That said, is there a TMS doctor practicing today to have a little bit more of that "it" factor, especially in the New York/tri-state area, that people are recommended to?

8. miffybunny

Dr. Schubiner has the "It" factor in spades lol! You can email him and he will respond. That will give you the rubber stamp you're looking for from an MD. I don't think it's necessary at all to see someone in person...I know I didn't (except for Dr. Rashbaum lol). I spoke to Dr.. Schubiner for 2 minutes on the phone and it made all the difference for me.

Lainey and FredAmir like this.
  9. TG957

If this may help: through my TMS journey, I spent hours every day replaying anything I could find of Dr. Sarno and Dr. Weekes audios and videos and that did the trick for me, by repeating the same thing many times over. You can find Dr. Sarno's lectures and Dr. Weekes audios on Amazon. It will cost you well under $100 and would work exactly the same as Dr. Rashbaum's course. The message is essentually the same, it is all about presentation.

10. tmrsi

tmrsi New Member

Thanks, that's awesome! Does Dr. Schubiner run groups (virtually) like the ones in the documentary about him? It seemed like that was the best benefit

11. tmrsi

tmrsi New Member

Thanks, how did Dr Weekes help you

12. TG957

Physical pain is often directly related to the emotional distress. Dr. Weekes has audios on anxiety (very common in those with TMS) and depression. Once my pain decreased, my anxiety naturally went through the roof, and this is when Dr. Weekes saved my life.

Sita likes this.
  13. miffybunny

Yes, I'm pretty sure he has done them but I'm not sure if he is running one now. Check out his website UnlearnYourPain.com and contact them to ask. I attended a practitioner course with Dr. Schubiner on Zoom, so they may be offering ones for patients as well.

14. W@rrior32

W@rrior32 New Member

You don't need to apology for any typo my friend. This is something that always happens to me LOL