1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Could hunger be TMS symptom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Laudisco, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

I've noticed that I've started experiencing severe hunger recently, especially when I feel stressed. Could this be a TMS symptom? It seems rather odd but I don't have any other explanation for it. I do seem to have unstable blood sugar due to chronic fatigue.

Has anyone else experienced this?? I went to the GP and they are checking my blood sugars, but I was just curious to hear other perspectives.

Lizzy likes this.
  2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

This is a good question. Hunger is a natural impulse, like going to the bathroom, thirst, or sex. It's not a TMS equivalent, but of course the brain can fixate on anything and exacerbate it. I know people who get extreme dry mouth and thirst whenever they get anxious, or stressed. They can't get enough liquids.

The fixation arises when the need to alleviate anxiety arises. But the brain doesn't cause hunger. Although you could argue that if you removed your brain that you wouldn't be hungry any more. The only way to prove it is to ask for volunteers.

But there are other impulses from the shadow. An impulse is a sudden urge. The shadow eruption can cause a sudden urge to do anything wild, like grab someone, kill, jump, yell, cheat, etc. Anything.

Anne Walker, North Star and Forest like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, hunger is a TMS symptom.
    Just two examples... Princess Diana had anorexia from her troubled marriage which triggered memories of her parents' sivorce
    when she was a young girl. Barbra Steisand is very nervous before performing in public. Her limo is stocked like a snack shop
    so she can eat even in her car.

When I feel edgy, I eat some pretzels or make a bowl of popcorn. I think we all feel more relaxed after eating, especially a big meal.
    That's how we feel after a Thanksgiving dinner. It's nap time!

4. Ollin

Ollin Peer Supporter

I agree. Hunger is often a diversion from uncomfortable thoughts and feelings, many stressed people are known to overeat. The perception of hunger can vary from real physical symptoms in the stomach to specific or general cravings. I had a time of being constantly hungry and feeling anxious or insecure when going out without some snacks, but this has passed when I connected to my body and its energy levels and needs through meditation. I also know for a fact that blood sugar levels respond to stress - mine were always normal but one morning I got upset at a long queue at the blood collection center and came out quite high (I repeated the test later and it was normal).

5. Laudisco

Thanks for sharing everyone! I do think there may be a connection with the blood sugar issue, as that has been a problem for me for quite a while.

I know that's very common for people with CFS, so they often have to avoid eating sugar and refined carbs. I also did a quick Google search and found a number of other people with CFS who mention dealing with extreme hunger.

Anyway, regardless of the exact cause of it, the hunger is certainly exacerbated by stress and tension.

6. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

In the morning if I get hungry before lunch and am waiting to eat lunch, sometimes I do a meditation and my hunger reduces drastically. So yes, I see that hunger is effected by mood or disposition. I think doing a meditation on an empty stomach is the best time to do a mediation anyway.

Laudisco likes this.
  7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm really into pistachios; keeping a gallon jar of maraschino cherries on the night table keeps me feeling secure. Brussels sprouts are good if you're trying to keep healthy. My personalized license plate says "SUBLIMATE".

Peggy likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

When I feel hunger pangs between meals, I like to snack on nuts, especially walnuts and almonds. Fresh, not in
    cans or jars. No salt. Pistachios are also healthy snacks.

Maraschino cherries go great with Manhattans, but I haven't had that delicious cocktail in years.

I should keep some carrots handy, too.

9. blake

blake Well known member

I haven't quit figured it all out yet, but I know I started overeating at the same time that I became depressed, which then turned into tms. I've resolved the depression, for the most part, and am working on my tms, but the overeating remains. Plus, for me, all three symptoms are linked to repressed emotions about the same issue. So in my case there is definitely some kind of link.

Great question, by the way. I've often wondered about that myself.

Laudisco likes this.
  10. Laudisco

Thanks for sharing that Blake! I've also noticed that the hunger is much more severe at night, which seems to be a common problem (based on what I have read online). I'm pleased that the hunger seems to dissipate when my stress levels go down, but it can get quite extreme and make it hard to sleep at times.

11. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Laudisco likes this.
  12. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Laudisco

I meds make me very hungry…you mentioned you take lyrica tat made me gain 10 pounds..just a thought

Laudisco likes this.
  13. E. Lynn

E. Lynn Peer Supporter

I haven't gotten to read the other responses, but wanted to let you know I feel the urge to eat something sometimes when I'm struggling with anxiety. Food can be comforting whether you're dealing with pain or anxiety. I do have low blood sugar at times, but it doesn't cause the same reaction. When low blood sugar happens, I'll eat something with protein and feel better.

Laudisco likes this.
  14. Laudisco

Thanks again for all the responses. Yes, it could be related to the meds, although I have been on Lyrica for nearly two years and I have not put on weight (or only a couple of kilos at the most) during that time. However, it's good to be aware that the medications could be contributing to the hunger.

I also relate to the issue with anxiety. I find that when I am very tired and/or stressed, the hunger seems to be exacerbated. It's particularly annoying as it seems to wake me up early in the morning, and makes it hard to get back to sleep.

15. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

We have common issues regarding hunger….and when pain escalates so does hunger interesting how the mind does this.

16. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

hi all, l recently decided to treat everything about food, eating, fear of hunger, weight etc. as tms. Years ago l was watching a family tv show with my daughter and a young boy in the series had a beloved horse die. I said we need to pause the show, I'm hungry, I need to eat. My daughter pointed out that I had just finished eating! Soon after the same thing happened again. Hmmm.....I started paying attention. Real hunger with growling does not feel different to me than emotional hunger. It is different than when I just want a cookie, that isn't in my stomache, this is. I didn't know about tms equivelents before though, now I do. We shall see!!

Ellen, yb44 and Laudisco like this.
  17. Laudisco

That's good to know Lizzy! I know that emotions and stress can certainly trigger my hunger pangs...

Lizzy likes this.
  18. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I can so relate to this! Apparently our primitive brains can't tell the difference from a TV programme and real life. I could reach for food whatever the circumstance but grief is the worst. One day last week I was intending to have a fast day (from the 5/2 diet). That idea went straight out the window when I found out a family member was gravely ill.

Laudisco and Lizzy like this.
  19. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Ok, here is an observation about eating. Yesterday I went with my husband to the memorial for our daughter's boyfriend's father. Today we were talking about it and I felt pain in my upper thigh. I grabbed a box of crackers and was mindlessly eating when I noticed the pain was gone. Just thinking about being presenf is hard, let alone actually being present, lol.

20. Laudisco

I've come to realise it's most likely related to blood sugar issues, as I've started to have mild hypoglycaemic episodes. However, it does seem like these episodes are triggered by stress - and I have read this is common. Also, most people with CFS has problems with blood sugar.

I am still trying to figure out how to manage it, as it's a frustrating symptom!