1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alan G. Could MS be TMS?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, May 27, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I have MS, which I realize is not on your lists, and moderate to severe chronic pain daily in the form of headaches or migraines, neck and upper back pain and stiffness on my right side. The pain began shortly after my third child was born and my first and second were in kindergarten and second grade, and it is what led me to my primary care doctor and the eventual diagnosis of MS through brain MRI's. I now think, after reading Dr. Sarno's two last books and Dr. Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain, which I am currently working on, that I am #1-the perfect MBS candidate, ugh, and #2 that my pain began 15 years ago because 5 years before that my mom died of a sudden heart attack in front of me while I was holding our newborn daughter the night my husband and I came home from the hospital with our second child. She was taking care of our 2 1/2 year old son.

I am the oldest of 3 then 6 after my mom's remarriage as we raised my step brother and sister and then they had my half brother. I was always an ultra responsible high achiever. I was expected to be pretty darned perfect, especially because my sister 11 months younger than me was rebellious and stubborn from babyhood on. My mom and I were very close. She did suffer from depression and was diagnosed as bipolar however and I always just wanted her to be happy; she was a doll, a magnificent woman who showed love to all who she came in contact with. I still miss her terribly. I think now that my old brain didn't want me to feel the emotions aroubd losing her that I was suppressing in order to be with a baby and toddler and until my second child got to Kindegarten I had no freedom to grieve or express my anger, sadness and outrage. Then I got some freedom and -surprise-I'm having another baby-who was and is a blessing-so what's my problem I would ask myself! Then the diagnosis of MS-which I now feel has been another distraction because other than the pain and stiffness in some parts, (I'm 52-made it past my mom's age!) I have not been affected with mobility or eyesight issues (other than the aura before migraines). I try to be very active through the pain-I hike, bike, elliptical, strength training of all sorts, just started yoga, meditate...have learned the hard way that I must do these things for me because in 2009, 2012 and 2013 I found out each time that my beloved husband of almost 30 years now, had been having an affair on me with a woman who pursued him on Facebook-an old girlfriend from high school. We have stayed together as he has asked many times for forgiveness, explained himself and debunked the affair to my satisfaction. I've tried hard to forgive and think I have but I still have feelings of anger when I'm reminded somehow of specific instances involving his lying or having to hear about the other woman in a positive light I'm the past. It's been outrageous to me that he could do this over and over and not think about the unintended consequences and treat me so poorly for such an intelligent man but he says he was acting on pure selfishness and regrets it all. Now after 18 months, I think I can put it behind me, but I'm confused. I did email Dr. Schubiner a couple of months ago and he agreed -about my mom and my pain I think. I also told him that I experienced 3 other untimely tragic deaths in her family-her 19 year old brother, my favorite uncle, at the age of 19 died in a plane crash near our home in Spain when I was 11 and her dad and sister died in a terrible car crash near where we lived in Southern California shortly after we were married. Dr. Schubiner did not mention about my husband though-and I now wonder if that was code for: you should have kicked him out forever!? My weakened self and self confidence then is what my husband has used to partly blame his affair on...it all seems like a jumbled mess right now but I guess my question is-since I have nothing to lose by going through MBS therapy and hopefully believing that I can be cured, is it wrong of me to believe-since I do have MS? Do YOU, Alan-whose articles I read and so appreciate the information in tonight-or any of you in the field who read this think my story sounds like MBS? Thanks so much for all of your hard work in this area. I feel pretty betrayed by the many doctors I've seen in 15 years who recommended many shots and epidurals, accupunture, medications, and chronic pain management classes through my insurance -
    Annie

2. Alan Gordon LCSW

Alan Gordon LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi Annie,
    I had 22 different TMS symptoms in my TMS days. Then one day I tore a ligament in my wrist. Just because the foundation is there for a diagnosis of TMS, it doesn't mean that we're impervious to real pathological conditions.

To answer your question, I don't know. MS is an auto-immune, it isn't TMS. But it's possible that because you may be prone to TMS, only 10% of your symptoms are due to the MS and 90% is the TMS piggybacking on it.

When there's a real underlying condition, it's always hard to discern what component is caused by the condition and what component is TMS.

You mentioned emailing with Howard Schubiner. I would see him. I would fly out to Michigan, spend a night in a hotel, and meet with him the next day. He'll spend three or four hours with you. It's too hard make this determination on your own, and it's hard to be successful from TMS perspective when you're riddled with doubt. Meeting with a TMS physician is best way to eliminate doubt, or at the very least, get some clarity.

Alan

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Birdie

Birdie Peer Supporter

Hi Annie,
    I have a friend who reduced her MS symptoms with a TMS approach about 90 %. Her MS started in a high stress period. When she begun to eliminate stress her MS improved dramatically. She now does not need any medication. Of course everyone is special, but I guess stress/childhood trauma can (beside heriditary factors) set the stage for diseases like MS.

Did you read Gabor Mate? He has a special chapter on autoimmune d. in his book