1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dailight Saving 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by andy64tms, Nov 5, 2017.

1. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Four years ago daylight saving time inspired me to write about the twenty clocks I had in my house. After pondering this story since then, I’m answering the question: “Why twenty clocks?”

My parents were leaving the country to retire in Spain, back in the 70’s; I inherited the coveted kitchen clock. It was one of the early quartz battery operated and was made of plastic. As a bachelor I was moving into my first house, scraping up just enough money to move in, I was as poor as a church mouse. I felt very proud of this clock as it represented the prevailing modern times. It stood out amidst the collection of second hand furniture I had.

After a year or so the clock started losing time. This early quartz mechanism had a fast-slow adjustment and I started correcting it first weekly then daily. It must be remembered this was a common practice in those days derived from mechanical clocks that served for centuries.

I was troubled one day when the clock stopped working completely. By over adjusting, it had broken and I realized it just needed a new battery, this had not occurred to me over the previous weeks and I was suddenly without time, and a broken clock. Should I try repairing it? Somehow broken items have a value to me, and I used to have huge stress and anxiety having to throw things away.

My frugal back ground had actually suppressed the idea of replacing the battery. A double AA 1.5 Volt battery was beyond my means in those days, they came in packets of two, and my logic maintained the second battery would wear out too soon and would be a waste. In fact I had a total negative attitude against batteries since they don’t last forever; they are designed to run just long enough for you to be able to purchase a new one.

So here I am in 2017 still with twenty clocks in my house. In fact the number has risen to twenty one; the other day I purchased yet another clock. My heart missed a beat when I saw it in the store, a thirty inch pastel colored country wall clock. I just had to have it, but things have changed - I can now afford a new battery!! :)

PREVIOUS ARTICLE:

http://tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8862

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Here we are, just ticking time away.
    Chicago (the rock group from the late 60's, 70's) got it right when they sang "Does anybody really know what time it is?; Does anybody really care?"
    I wonder if any of that group really suffers from TMS?
    Lainey

andy64tms likes this.