1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

DARE method success?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mars497@, May 14, 2020.

1. Mars497@

Mars497@ Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,

I am looking for any input if the DARE method has worked for anyone. I know anxiety is at the center of my TMS and fear of pain too. I am working through The Great Pain Deception and love Defying the Verdict but as others have mentioned, the anxiety seems to spike as I work through all this and sometimes I feel truly discouraged when stressful situations flare my symptoms so quickly and easily. I’m trying to not only unlearn/rewire my pain response but also my stress response too.
    Another person I’ve stumbled upon just this week is Nicole Sachs. Any positive stories using either or advice is much appreciated. I’m not giving up, I will keep reading in the meantime.
    I hope everyone is staying well.

2. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter

i've used the DARE method and found it to be mostly in line with TMS concepts. it basically teaches you to lean into the awful feelings of anxiety...not need to be afraid of them....they won't hurt you. i went through a period of some pretty terrifying anxiety and the DARE method got me through it.

Mars497@ likes this.
  3. Mars497@

Mars497@ Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for your reply @PainNoMore. I have been getting emails for the 7 day DARE challenge after buying the book on Amazon (same time I discovered TMS so it went on the back burner until now). He does mention physical symptoms and not just the in the moment of panic ones like dry mouth, sweaty, dizzy...I can handle those and they pass. I’m not saying I like them but they’re situational or even brought on by reactive or apprehensive thinking. I am hoping to find help for what’s going on deeper as to why I have some constant tension, such as low back tension and pain, that isn’t situational but likely much deeper. I want to do the mental work but I’m still struggling to know what it actually is. I feel I’m starting to get there with Steve Ozanich’s book GPD but I’m taking it slow as I’ve come to realize it kicks up my anxiety if I try to digest too much in a sitting. Even if I don’t get anxious while reading, I have found higher anxiety to kick up the next day. So I take small breaks of a day or two to let my subconscious catch up. Does that make sense?I tend to have to go back and read it again. Not sure if it helped you but I identify so much with what he is saying that I hope this is the right track for me.

4. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter

Mars - there is a lot of information, techniques, books and methods out there on how to conquer TMS. i think one of the most important things when you are starting is to bring the tension level down. hopefully @plum will see this thread. she has some great advice on this.
    i think Steve O is an absolute pioneer and genius when it comes to TMS. i've listened to interviews and podcasts with him and found him to be very insightful and helpful. but to be honest, his GPD book did not resonate with me. it was information overload and kind of drove me crazy trying to read it. i've heard his 2nd book is much "easier" to digest.

Mars497@ likes this.
  5. Mars497@

Mars497@ Peer Supporter

Thank you again @PainNoMore. I need to look into this 2nd book as I do feel sometimes I am chipping away at an iceberg. I have no looked to other media such as interviews and podcasts so that is something I’d like to do as you have because it’s nice to watch body language or even listen to someone.
    I agree that reducing tension is what I need. I have posted this before but I often wake up with tighter muscles than when I go to bed even though I’m not noticing stress at night. No nightmares, no waking in panic.

6. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Hey there, have you listened to Claire Weekes audio here? (See my signature)
    DARE is based on her work, and I find the original more moving :)

Mars497@ likes this.