1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Hanscom's Blog David Hanscom MD - His Story & Mission

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, May 28, 2023.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Dorado likes this.
  2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

This is so important! I have too wondered about this as it pertains to mental health.

I didn’t have the worst childhood by any means, but I grew up around anxious adults and was emotionally crushed by secondhand uncertainty. Even if I was perfectly safe, neither my siblings nor I felt that way. This constant state of fight or flight led to diagnoses of OCD, generalized anxiety, and major depressive disorder. These conditions were initially recognized by my pediatrician when I was around 9 (!!!) years old. He incorrectly said I’d simply grow out of everything as I got older and had more balanced hormones, absolving the parental figures in my life of all responsibility, not offering any coping tools in the interim, making me feel like a clueless failure, and leaving me to totally start from scratch as an adult. (My mom confirmed this when I was 27 and was re-diagnosed at Mayo Clinic. Nobody even talked to me about this directly as a child.) As I got older, it was easy for other people to write me off as “just being born that way” or dealing with illnesses that could only be managed but never cured. I adore my parents and we are best friends today, and I understand they were misinformed by the medical system too, but it was so freeing and empowering when I realized this as an adult.

I have long suspected that my childhood stress modified neural pathways and established behavioral patterns that could largely be overcome. I cannot speak for everyone, nor do I claim to have the answers for anybody else, but I’ve never felt like treating my particular situation like a structural disease was correct. Had someone helped me calm my fight or flight response as a child, I think things would’ve been so much better for me.

I can understand taking a more traditional approach in situations where someone is completely overstimulated, disempowered, suicidal, very disconnected from reality, etc. That said, I remember learning in college about improved outcomes in countries that take a different approach to mental health, and I think that would’ve great benefitted me.

I identify so much with this!