1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by SebastianM, Jan 30, 2017.

1. SebastianM

SebastianM Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,

I am 25 years old and I study mechanical engineering in Germany.
    My pain symtoms began in autumn 2014 / winter 2015 with shoulder pain after sports (lifting weights) and sour stomach after drinking white wine. Several doctor did not find a reason for these two symptoms and I began to focus the pain. Afterwards many symptoms appeared additionaly: pain in hip, fingers, ellbows, archilles tendon, headache, neck hardening, dizziness, fatigue… It feels/felt like my body is made of glass and I can't stand any physical stress.
    I am in psychotherapy since autumn 2015 and learned much about my personality and my state of mind got better but not constantly. But I often have hard fall backs and I think this can be explained with my intensive focus on upcoming pain and very intensive fear of pain.
    I bought Dr. Sarno's book on December 22th 2016 and finished reading it one month later. The pain got a bit better but I cannot stop focussing it and had a big fall back five days ago. I was derpressed and started to search success stories. So I found this website.
    Today in the morning I again had a small panic attack and have found the structured educational program. Now I hopefully started the first day "workout" and I am looking forward to the next four weeks.
    I have to admit that I am quite hopeful and very motivated to work through it. But there is a doubt in me. Let's say more a fear then a doubt. The fear refers to the pain. I am afraid that I am not strong enough to overcome it. I am motivated but also afraid.
    Sorry for the long text but I could not stop writing ;)...
    I would be grateful to get a few answers.

Kind regards from Germany,
    Sebastian

2. RozieHolland

RozieHolland Peer Supporter

Hello SebastianM,

I have backpain for 45 years.
    Last december my backpain was so bad I couldn't stand, sit or walk.
    I saw the video of dr. John Sarno and after I had finished it I could walk again.
    My pain was almost gone at that moment.
    You don't have to be afraid. I was afraid too, but I believe in this program for 100%.
    I am not afraid anymore because there is nothing wrong with my back.
    I still have backpain and other pain, but I am not afraid something goes wrong.

You didn't say you saw the video.
    When you order the video of dr. Sarno you will have it in 5 days, I had.
    You must have faith.

With love, Rozie from Holland.

SebastianM likes this.
  3. SebastianM

Hi Rozie,

Thanks for your answer :).
    I am not sure which video you mean. I watched the Video of "Day 1".

I know that I must have faith and I give my best to let the doubt behind me. But when my pain is over a critical point I start worrying.
    What was your trick to overcome it? Did you start to focus psychological things in the moments when you feel strong pain?

Kind regards,
    Sebastian

4. RozieHolland

RozieHolland Peer Supporter

Hello Sebastian,

It is the video HEALING BACK PAIN - THE MINDBODY PRESCRIPTION - of Dr. JOHN SARNO.
    You can buy it on his website.
    When I saw this video my backpain just went away only by watching.

When I have a serious bad backpain, it is for me also difficult to change my focus.
    But now, after I watched the video my backpain is reduced and it stays reduced, because I don't let it come so far.
    When you have pain you must deep inhale and focus on the front of your body, your belly, your stomach, your chest and throat.
    Then you must shift your attention from the pain to emotional issues. Think about something else.

* The pain is due to TMS, not a structural abnormality.
    * The direct reason for the pain is mild oxygen deprivation.
    * TMS is a harmless condition, caused by repressed emotions.
    * The pricipal emotion is my repressed anger.
    * TMS excists only to distract my attention from the emotions.
    * Since my back is basically normal there is nothing to fear.
    * Therefore, physical activity is not dangerous.
    * And I must resume all normal physical activity.
    * I will not be concerned or intimidated by the pain.
    * I will shift my attention from the pain to emotional issues.
    * I intend to be in control – not my subconscious mind.
    * I must think psychological at all times, not physical.

With love, Rozie

SebastianM likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, SebastianM. Welcome to this web site for help on healing your pains. RozieHolland is finding wonderful pain relief through belief in TMS, that emotions cause our pains. As you have learned from medical checkups, there is nothing structurally wrong with you. Dr. Sarno's video has helped many to heal who weren't able to by just reading the book, Healing Back Pain. His voice is very reassuring.

I was in the U.S. Army in Germany in 1957 and really loved the country and people. I was stationed in Frankfurt am Main, but traveled throughout the country and Europe. Try to enjoy Germany and Europe. It can give you positive images to picture as you relax with deep breathing and meditation. Try not to doubt that you will heal. Positive thinking and living in the present moment are important techniques for healing. Good luck and believe... you have come to the right place to heal.

SebastianM likes this.
  6. SebastianM

Hi everyone,
    Rozie, thank you for your suggestion to watch the video. I think I will try my luck and my best with the SEProgramm because it is full of helpfull articles, stories and advices. Maybe afterwards I think about the video again. I am student and have to safe my money ;).

Walt thats great. I am happy that you enjoyed Germany. Did you visit Kassel? It's north of Frankfurt. If I have pain I think of your words and start breathing slowly and deeply. As a first aid it helps sometimes better sometimes not. But I am still hopeful and I am looking forward to my Day 4 exercise today in the evening. When my pain was for the first time at a high level (Summer 2015) I have read a book of Jon Kabat-Zinn about meditation. This was quite helpful but solved not the pain problem.

Thanks for your support!

Greetings
    Sebastian