1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by elizabethswan, Aug 5, 2020.

1. elizabethswan

elizabethswan New Member

Really excited - but the fear is right behind the door, and won't stop knocking.

This is day one for me of the structured education program. I actually read the book Healing Back Pain by Dr. Sarno a few weeks ago and was a little sad I wasn't one of those lucky ones that was cured immediately! While I have been trying to apply those principles daily, I still find the constant thoughts of "but is there something wrong with me physically", "oh pain changed today it must have been something you did (physically)", "oh its because you haven't exercised in a few days", or "will I ever get better?". These are really hard thoughts to get rid of. I know it takes time, and I need to fend off that inner bully until it doesn't have the will to keep knocking, but damn it is persistent.

Reading the success story today from Baseball65 was amazing. When I began reading I actually had some of those thoughts I mentioned above, but once I got about mid way through, and I was really invested in his narrative, I couldn't feel a thing. No burning mid back pain, tight low back pain, or stabbing low back pain. It's like I forgot I had pain. Of course as soon as I noticed this, the pain came right back, but its these small "wins" that are really helpful. Not only was this realization helpful, but his story was amazing. All I have is puny little bulging disc in my low back, nothing near to what he had mentioned, and he is PAIN FREE now. how amazing is that. If he can be pain free with all of his serious structural diagnosis, I know I can too. I really felt his lows, and was so happy to hear his highs, and hope one day, with patience and practice, I can also achieve success with this program. I am so excited and hopeful for what the next few weeks will bring.

ssxl4000 likes this.
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hello...I couldn't have said it better myself...the structure of the program should help you in this area. The repetition makes that positive thought process of refuting the structural in favor of thinking psychologically a natural habit. As you said, patience and practice are both key. It's great reading your excitement and optimism. A recommendation I have is to keep a written record of your successes along they way (periods of feeling better mentally or physically, doing activities that you previously avoided, etc.). Whenever the excitement wears off and doubt creeps in, review those successes to help keep you encouraged. Keep up the good work!

elizabethswan likes this.
  3. elizabethswan

elizabethswan New Member

thank you ssxl4000! that is a great idea and something I will definitely start doing. I have noticed today (day 3) that I was not as excited as I was for the past two days so this is something that I will definitely start doing - thanks for the tip! :)