1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 14 - Self-Care Day

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Celayne, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

I had a massage this morning. It had been scheduled for three weeks.

I hadn't read ahead on the SEP days, but had missed a couple of days.

This is a wonderful synchronicity. The massage was wonderful. I kept reminding myself, as the therapist smoothed out my knots, that it was increasing blood and oxygen flow to my TMS pain areas and that the massage alone wouldn't cure anything. Kept trying to think psychologically, not physically.

I had an experience the other day that I believe has caused my symptoms to redouble their efforts at distraction. So, this self-care day was very much needed.

hecate105 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. srton

srton Well known member

@Cricket313 So glad to hear that you're taking care of yourself. During my previous go-rounds with TMS I didn't need to use the self-care/self-love for my recovery but this time I'm finding it super helpful.
    One of the huge upshots of recovering from my neck/shoulder and lower back pain a few years ago (through the SEP! god bless it!!) is that I now have a totally different relationship with massage. I had spent about 15 years frequently getting the most deep agressive massage around. I'd always ask the therapis to pound and go deeper - thinking that if they could unwind out the knots I'd get some relief from my pain.
    Now that I don't have TMS pain there I can enjoy any type of massage and often have to ask therapists to go softer. I can enjoy a massage as a happy light joyful experience not as a means to end the pain. It's something I think about a lot and am so grateful for!!!!!!!
    Keep on with the self love and way to go on noticing that your emotions were triggered by a specific experience. It sounds like you're making great strides in thinking psychologically.
    All the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!