1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 - Overcoming doubt/fear for gym

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Rohan1, May 11, 2020.

1. Rohan1

Rohan1 New Member

Hi all, I’m currently doing the SEP and have had a variety of symptoms over the past 8 years that has stopped me from playing the sports I love and going to the gym:
    • Shoulder pain
    • Upper back pain
    • Lower back pain
    • Neck pain
    • Wrist pain
    • Foot pain
    • Knee pain
    • Serve itchiness
    So far, I have managed to relieve myself from all of the above but the knee pain returned just after I had developed the courage to begin doing basic strength exercises at my home gym - sigh.

That gym session felt great, I finally felt like I could get strong and had overcome the TMS symptoms, I felt very free and had a new found energy.

To clear any doubts, I went to my physio, who is aware of TMS, to ensure no structural knee damage occurred and thankfully there wasn’t and I was told to continue exercising. However I still feel the knee pain.

My questions:
    • Shall I continue my gym exercises despite the knee pain?
    • Could this be me needing to “overcome the fear” as I am becoming free from 8 years of symptoms?
    I will continue to explore my TMS lists too.

I’m excited and hopeful to get active again after 8 years of pain!

ssxl4000 likes this.
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

First, great job on your success with finding relief from most of your pains. Even if they fluctuate or come back here and there, that is a huge step! Second, generally, the advice from Dr. Sarno and others is to continue your exercise regardless of TMS pain. Don't be scared if you need to slow down, take a break, etc. But do try to keep active and slowly build back up a routine. Success with TMS depends on losing your fear of the pain and taking comfort in the fact that there is nothing physically wrong with you. Once you get to that place mentally, you should be fully confident in exercising and playing sports regardless of whether the pain presents itself.

There is also the issue of extinction bursts at play. When you try to take big steps towards healing (like exercising for the first time in a long time) your brain may fight back for a little while by increasing your old symptoms or even trying new ones. It's just a process you have to go through as you continue working to fully convince yourself of TMS principles. Don't worry if it takes time. Keep up the good work!

Rohan1 likes this.
  3. Rohan1

Rohan1 New Member

Thanks for your great reply ssxl400, appreciate it.

To update you and others dealing with similar issues - I worked out, did squats, deadlifts and NO KNEE PAIN DURING OR AFTER. It was such a great feeling, another great day in my recovery! Thanks for your advice and words of encouragement too. I have noticed I have had a noticeable loss of strength but at least there is no pain or fear of pain anymore.

At the moment, the itchiness and knee pain have gone and it went to a random tooth ache, elbow pain and upper back tightness - so it certainly looks like the extinction burst is happening. I will continue the program and update.

Hedger, daniebama and ssxl4000 like this.