1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 - Scared of movement, let alone exercise

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Hopevsheadaches, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Hopevsheadaches

Hopevsheadaches Newcomer

Hi Everyone,

So the last time I did what I class as exercise was back in May 2020. Oh by the way, my history is migraines, tension headaches and myofascial pain syndrone.

This was going to the gym before I tried to come off a medication which completely messed with my nervous system and I have been in a state of fear since then and very high anxiety. Before that I could work out for an hour in the gym and no pain. Since that experience, even taking a short walk of 500 steps induced pain but I can now see that the reason this induced so much pain was that I had 10/10 fear about moving. Emotionally I was terrified and physically I felt the pain of that terror in my body later on. However, the pain always, always comes 3-4 hours later. It's like I am waiting for it and when it comes I am like 'oh there you go!'.

Since I had to stop cleaning the house and I have not done much apart from some occasional walking. I've made it to 2000 steps before without knowing and funnily enough when I am not thinking I am exercising then I don't get pain.

Since reading Alan's book and now starting mind over medicine I see that there is nothing physically wrong with me and I have more confidence in going for a walk and moving more since May 2020. So I am thinking about starting it soon now. Additionally, the shoulder pain that caused me pain using during exercise has since gone since starting the TMS work which is such a huge success for me because I was going to the physio every week and now I have stopped. So I need to focus on the wins..... Sending you all a safe brain day :) x

Ryan and Baseball65 like this.