1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Depressed and anxious

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hollster7, Sep 10, 2017.

1. hollster7

hollster7 Newcomer

Mom of 2 under 2

Just realized 2 weeks ago that I have tms causing severe muscle cramping in my back and right leg.

Anyone else feel more depressed and anxious after realizing you have tms? I feel like it's making my mental health worse since it's causing me to think about my issues 24-7.

Before I just felt like I had back problems... not uncommon. Now I feel for lack of a better word "crazy".

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

"DEPRESSION" is TMS--it's an affective/emotional symptom equivalent--it serves the same function as any other TMS symptom--distraction from the underlying emotional issues that the sub-c decides it wants to PROTECT one from having to deal with head-on. I had it and once I read in my Sarno that it was also TMS, I got out of it--couldn't stand my shrink either, so that helped a lot too to put a rush on my healing and return to functioning--you gotta' exercise too to keep strong. After I learned depression IS TMS, I felt better and got better. When I find out a symptom is TMS, I feel better! You will too.

TrustIt and Ellen like this.
  3. hollster7

hollster7 Newcomer

Thank you... I'll give that a shot!

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Like Tom said, depression and anxiety are basically similar to your back problems. They are great tools for the mind to distract you from repressed emotions.
    From how you built your post I assume you feel a connection between your TMS symptoms (back pain, depression, anxiety) and being a mom. I believe many mothers struggle with the negative emotions they experience towards their children, or even towards their husbands when they have to do most of the work or because they are outing their emotions towards others instead. But try to realize that this is entirely normal. Deep down you love your children to bits, that is a strong foundation and it will always stay put. They drive you crazy sometimes, accept the emotions that you might find unacceptable, it does not mean you are a bad mom, it only means you are human. Notice the self-critique and pressure you put on yourself in trying to be a good mom. Then realize again that you love them and would walk through fire for them. There is no such thing as a perfect mother, just try the best you can and don't bash yourself when things don't work out as planned.
    Nicole Sachs wrote about this all extensively in her book 'the meaning of truth'. Beware, she writes in a very honest and direct way, which means swear words are common in her book. Although I don't have children, I do have a mom and her book helped me understanding her better.
    Sorry if I jump forward too fast, I just felt it might help you... take care!

5. hollster7

hollster7 Newcomer

You're exactly right. Thank you so much for this. It brought me to tears. I'm definitely going to check out that book.

lol these days even my self talk is explicit so I'm not worried about that!

Thanks again.

6. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

you're on the right track, happy to read that it resonated.
    cheers

hollster7 likes this.
  7. Tennis Tom

Here's a thread about Nicole and her TMS "THE MEANING OF TRUTH" book, she's been a regular contributor here and if you do a search here you will find lot's of threads on her and maybe pod casts. It's a short book but packs a big TMS punch, I think between her and her partner they have five kids, pretty busy--and she's hot too! :p She's a TMS therapist in New England (NH or CON?), she was handpicked by Dr. Sarno to be one of his meeting presenters at NYU Rusk--good TMS book!

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/the-meaning-of-truth-nicole-j-sachs.3667/ (Book - The Meaning of Truth - Nicole J.Sachs)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    hollster7 likes this.
  8. Tennis Tom

Here's her site :

THE CURE FOR CHRONIC PAIN

HOME
    WHY YOU HURT
    HOW TO HEAL
    ABOUT NICOLE
    RESOURCES
    COURSE
    BLOG

[​IMG]

FREEDOM FROM
    CHRONIC PAIN
    LEARN ABOUT THE COURSE

MY NEW COURSE,
    FREEDOM FROM CHRONIC PAIN,
    WILL TEACH YOU A LIFESTYLE THAT CAN KEEP YOU
    OUT OF CHRONIC PAIN FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

LEARN MORE
    MOVE, BUT DON'T MOVE THE WAY FEAR MAKES YOU MOVE ~ rumi

BUY THE BOOK: THE MEANING OF TRUTH

"Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say, "My tooth is aching" than to say, "My heart is broken." ~ C.S. Lewis

BUY THE BOOK: THE MEANING OF TRUTH

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | YOUTUBE

9. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

I know initially I too became really concerned about anger and rage causing all my pain and if I could change my personality enough to avoid becoming disabled again.

Thats why initially discovering TMS can be overwhelming and lead to anxiety and depression.

But then I realized with some minor changes in how I communicated my needs and wants to those close to me and by having more realistic expectations, it is possible to live Pain-free.

Tennis Tom and hollster7 like this.
  10. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

Actually, knowing that is TMS (if you have been properly diagnosed), should be a relief for you, because you can know what is causing your back pain and know that is not a structural problem. You can feel safe now to move your back without fear of getting worst. It is just mild oxygen depravation to the muscles that is activated by your brain to deviate your attention from whatever unconscious feelings of rage and fear are within you. When you get in pain, sit down, take a deep breath and feel the pain, just observe the pain and feel it while taking deep breaths and relaxing and see how it evolves. Reassure yourself in that moment that you are safe, and tell to yourself that it is being caused by your brain. "Talk " to your brain, and let her know that you know what is happening and that you are going to ignore the pain and just go on with your life.

Tennis Tom and hollster7 like this.