1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Depression

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Metamorphosis, Aug 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis Newcomer

Hi all,

I have been reading about depression in the Great Pain Deception. Is this about a depression that has been brought on by a TMS complaint, or IS depression a TMS complaint?

Thanks for your replies!

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Good question! I suppose it can be both. There are all kinds of depression, situational, chemically imbalanced, TMS etc. I have overcome the 'black hole' type of depression more than once. The key for me was to visualise the mood passing over me rather than being consumed by it. Over time it would fade away. It was a decision to not engage with that mood knowing that doing so would only lead me into a deeper depression and would be more difficult to get out of it.

hyperdub808 and Metamorphosis like this.
  3. Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis Newcomer

Thanks for your reply Birdsetfree. Like you say, being aware what's going on (remaining mindful) gives you power over your thoughts. Like Eckhart Tolle explains, we are not our thoughts - or our moods. Very powerful! Have you ever defined your kind of depression? I mean was it a TMS symptom you think?

hyperdub808 and birdsetfree like this.
  4. birdsetfree

Another interesting question! Looking back on when the depression was at its worst I think it was a combination of all three. I was in the post natal phase, I had not received what I needed emotionally as a child and having my first child shone a light on that and my personal growth shortcomings and I felt numb.

I had had mild chronic physical symptoms most of my life, IBS, random stomach pain, aching bones etc and depression. As I was diagnosed with post natal depression, I was put on medication for that but after a year I took myself off of it and treated it with changing my mindset about it. I used the method above which is basically in line with TMS treatment and it worked.

hyperdub808 and Metamorphosis like this.
  5. Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis Newcomer

Very strong that you decided on, and were able to take yourself off the antidepressant! Your story sounds more or less like my own. I did not have any emotional exchange from 8 months to 7 years old. (Its a mirracle that I have turned out reasonably okay despite of it all LOL). I too had postnatal symptoms after my daughter (I have just 1 child; she is now 38). Thinking back with the knowledge I have now about TMS, being a typical T-person (very perfectionistic and hard on myself), I had a particularly hard time getting myself and my life in order. Like I spent a lot of attention on having everything perfectly in order w.r.t. my baby, but I and the house were a mess, and I did not know nor had I the energy to sort things out. I was never on antidepressants, and I am glad of it now. Nice to talk to you! My name is Katja

6. birdsetfree

Hi Katja, nice to talk to you too! I'm Susan. I relate to your situation a lot. I have had to learn how to take care of myself as I was brought up to only care for others and repress my own feelings. I had no idea how to set boundaries in order to protect my individuality. It has been wonderful finding TMS in that regard as now I have legitimised taking care of myself! It takes practice that's for sure but I am changing and along with that the symptoms are mostly gone or very short lived. How are you going with all of it now?

7. Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis Newcomer

Hi Suzan, as you say, it is difficult to set boundaries, that was also my problem, but over the years I have become better at it. Another problem I have to tackle is insecurity about who I am and what I stand for. This is causing physical problems in my case. I can get terribly annoyed with myself in this respect, which is costs me a lot of energy. I am also very happy to recently having 'discovered' TMS, but now I have to find the best way to get better... I found a link to a document called "SIRPA" about journalling. I am going to study that.

8. birdsetfree

Well done with the boundary setting, such an important way to take care of yourself. I had an inner bully too that I had to get rid of in order to affect my symptoms. I worked with a therapist through the worst of it and got the bully out of my head by challenging every negative thought I had about myself.

Be careful about the inner bully that will try to put you in a box, particularly about how you feel about yourself. You can choose at any moment what you think about yourself and know that you are complete as you are. All the best to you.