1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dr. Hanscom on Dr. Oz- about chronic pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mala, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Mala

Mala Well known member

I apologise if this has already been posted but I came across this video of Dr. Hanscom talking to Dr. Oz about the futility of surgery for back pain & the Mind Body Connection with regards to healing from pain. There is also an interview with one of his patients who is now pain free after 18 years.

I think this video is powerful in that its coming from the perspective of a surgeon who used to perform back surgery daily on his patients but has now realised that for the most part going under the knife is unnecessary.

Part 2 should automatically begin at the end of Part 1

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/new-breakthrough-no-pill-pain-fighters?video_id=2893663965001

Mala

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

We have new members joining us all the time, Mala, so by reposting this, they are more likely to see it!

I first learned about Dr. Hanscom's work a couple of years ago, and I think he is awesome (and he practices in my part of the world :^) This video is pretty compelling - and it presents a slightly different viewpoint from Dr. Sarno, which is always valuable, because we know that there is more than one way to approach this work.

Mala likes this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, for some people I think it's very helpful to hear an argument against surgery from an accomplished surgeon. Dr. Hanscom actually gave away early versions of his book for free online to get feedback and in that early version he told his personal story of TMS as well as how he learned about it. Like Dr. Clarke, he didn't learn about it from Dr. Sarno, and came to a mindbody approach independently.

Perhaps because of his personal experience with TMS (which he calls MBS), he is deeply passionate about spreading the word and helping people. His Facebook page, for example, is always active:
    https://www.facebook.com/drdavidhanscom
    He's on the mailing list for TMS practitioners, and he is always sending scientific articles out. Where does he find the time?!

IrishSceptic and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Perfectionist and goodist maybe? Ya think?

Forest likes this.
  5. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Totally agree. he is usually the person I recommend to people I know precisely because of his credentials in the surgical field.