1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dreams and TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

The more I learn about TMS, the more I find this quote to be so true. Dreams can shed light on emotions and feelings our conscious mind is not yet ready to handle. A tremendous amount of insight can be found by reviewing your dreams and identifying their meaning to us. We will be discussing the role dreams play in TMS recovery during this week’s call-in discussion group as look at Ellen’s story in Pathways to Pain Relief, by Drs. Fran Anderson and Eric Sherman.

Like so many of us, Ellen had difficulty expressing and getting in touch with her emotions. While she was in therapy, she began to notice her disconnect from her emotions by describing violent dreams that she had. Through exploring these dreams and understanding their meaning to her, Ellen began to become more in tune with her emotional state and began to recover.

Have you found that dreams have helped you better understand what was going on psychologically for you?

As usual, the discussion group starts at 2 PM (ET) and will go until 3 PM. More information can be found at www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Saturday_TMS_Book_Discussion_Group.

eric watson and plum like this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, I believe I needed to read a post like this today as I'm feeling all beaten up like an egg yolk. (silly stuff happened over the weekend). I dream a lot and last nights were deeply symbolic. I'd half forgotten them during the course of the day but here, in the evening quiet, I can turn them over in my hands. Thank you for your gentle plunge in the cool, dark waters. I shall drain this dream-platter and muse on them awhile.

eric watson likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest- Yes I've had many dreams tell me which way to direct my thinking and what I was repressing
    not even knowing in consciousness I was angry at my brother in early recovery - I thought I had reconciled that
    then in my dream I had an angry outburst- upon awake I discharged that thought and have had great success

Leslie likes this.
  4. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

Had something similar happen to me just a week ago Eric. Symptoms were flaring up, I thought it was one cause. Right before I went to sleep I begged my sub-conscious to give me a clue that I was on the right track. That night one of my sister's completely monopolize my dreams. I had totally thought I had moved through all of the issues I had with her - turns out there were more. The further I go with this the more convinced I am that our sub-conscious minds only let us know just so much at a time - all part of the protection role I suspect. But very frustrating too, thinking I was all over one thing and finding out there was more.

eric watson likes this.
  5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

its so cool when we can learn to harness these hidden powers of the subconscious
    I always keep a pen and paper next to my bedside so if that moment happens im ready

Forest likes this.
  6. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

I really need to be on this call this weekend, but we've got plans for my daughter. So very interesting, I was just thinking about dreams. I've had some pretty aggressive, graphic dreams lately. Going to ask my subconscious to give me some more insight tonight!

Forest and eric watson like this.
  7. Layne

Layne Well known member

I have a lot of really intense, symbolic dreams but I don't always know how to interpret them. Can anyone direct me to some resources on how to learn to decipher them?? Thanks!

eric watson likes this.
  8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

im relearning symbolism when it comes to meanings of symbolic dreams
    and regular dreams also have symbolics
    I call those repressions
    I do have a thought though
    if its a good dream I keep it and learn from it
    if its a warning dream I feel it emotionally- fix the issue-
    then do away with the sting
    if its a dream of fear and shadows, I just forget-let go or discharge
    although I've had dreams of anger toward something then ill make peace.
    Freud tells a lot about dreams
    and Jung knows about the spirit and dreams
    I connected with both masters of our thinking
    id fall with Jung, Carl
    He seems to me to be all out easy to read
    Layne I know you know these guys im sure
    although have you went in depth about their dream analyses?
    im back into dream symbolics now
    im sure you'll be able to find some good stuff
    less you want to buy a book, im sure you can find all you want about
    both their dream analysis in about a two day web search
    its always good to learn the dreams.
    dream discovery has helped me through a lot of stuff
    revealed repressions and kept me safe-
    even shows me my next move about 2 times a month

9. Forest

I am really looking forward to talking about this topic in the call-in discussion group tomorrow (Saturday April 13th). As usual, we will start at 2:00pm (ET) and will run until 3. If you’re free, I encourage you to join us -- it should be a great discussion!

Quick connection info (for detailed instructions, click here):
    If you're connecting by phone, dial 1 646 583 7415 and when prompted enter the pin code 21558901.​
    If you're connecting via your computer (Fuze Meeting), go to www.fuzemeeting.com/fuze/app/48fb7aa8/18311499 and follow the instructions from there.​

For more info, check out the discussion group wiki page. I hope to see you there!

eric watson likes this.
  10. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, wild dogs and technical ineptitude keep me from joining! Quite seriously, this really appeals to me and while I do doubt I can be there, I shall relish listening later. Dreams truly are the Royal Road.

Layne, the best resource bar none is by the Jungian analyst Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes. Aside from possessing the wisdom of countless lifetimes, she is a storyteller par excellence, a mystic, a healer, the mother we all wish we'd had. She recorded an audiobook with Sounds True called "The Beginner's Guide to Dream Interpretation." I recommend it highly.

I know of two other resources, both free, but am unsure how to point non-itunes users that way. Sounds True offer a weekly podcast. Two recent ones have favoured dreams: "Active Dreaming in the Multiverse" with Robert Moss and "Dream Tending" with Dr. Stephen Aizenstat.
    Both are hour long interviews with much for the listener.

I'm sure you can tune in and hear them at http://www.soundstrue.com if you explore the podcast link at the bottom left. Or maybe someone with internet nous can fathom the link. It's a one-click wonder on my ipod!

eric watson likes this.
  11. Forest

Hey all,
    Here's the recording from the discussion group on the 13th. You can also download it as an mp3 by right-clicking on this link, and saving it to your computer.

We ended up focusing mainly on the content from the reading in Pathways to Pain Relief (Ellen's story) so next week instead of moving on to the next section in Pathways, we'll be talking more about the parallels between Ellen's story and our own experiences. Check out this thread for more info. I hope to see you all then!