1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dry eyes due to infection and scarring

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kelliwheatz, Dec 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. kelliwheatz

kelliwheatz New Member

Hi everyone,

I know we’ve had the dry eye conversation. Believe me, I’ve read every single thread that’s mentioned either of those words… And I know so many people have recovered. It’s amazing to see, and I’m so hopeful this is possible for me too… But I’d like to get the great minds on the forum’s insight into my situation because it is a bit unique.

Back in August, I developed an absolutely ginormous stye. It turned into a chalazion, and it’s been a whole thing… I’ve taken antibiotics and steroids, seen multiple optometrists and ophthalmologists to try and figure out how to bring down the swelling, the inflammation, and the rest of it… it’s been a really prolonged and traumatic experience. Something about the eyes hits different from anything else I’ve had (which is a lot - I’m a TMS’er for sure). Along the way I picked up a host of diagnoses. Blepharitis, large spider veins, severe dry eye, eye allergies, etc. Now my dry eyes are keeping me up at night due to pain and discomfort, preventing me from doing my job and my schooling, and generally making my life really (really) challenging and upsetting.

Here’s my question: the trauma that happened to the eye in the summer caused quite a bit of damage. A number of the oil glands on the bottom of my lid have collapsed, which means there is very observable and significant damage to my eye. Now, I know that “damage“ isn’t always a cause of pain… I’ve read all the studies about herniated discs in the arthritis. But this isn’t natural aging stuff - it happened due to a trauma. It’s really hard for me to imagine that the collapse of important parts of my eye function isn’t having an affect on my symptoms. And to my knowledge, there’s no really great way to rejuvenate these glands. Ive been recommended IPL treatment which is expensive and invasive and doesn’t seem to work for everyone, so I’m hesitant.

I’m 28, and every time I look in the mirror, I see the red scarring around my eye, which reminds me of the damage that’s been done. Of course I know this is contributing to my anxiety, which could be contributing to the problem, but I can’t really not look in a mirror for the rest of my life…. I’d love to get people’s opinions on whether or not they think healing could still be possible for me given what’s happened.

Thank you:)

2. Amina.84

Amina.84 Peer Supporter

Hi. How are your eyes now please? I have many symptoms in my eyes too since 1 year now. Hope to have an answer it will be really appreciable.
    Thank you