1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Emergency: Sister just received "Neck Surgery" diagnosis. Pls help me help her:

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by avik, May 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. avik

avik Well known member

First off, I haven't been on these boards in quite some time; hope this message finds everyone happy and healthy.

My sister started getting very bad lower back pain and sciatica following her vaccine.
    She began to attribute this pain to the most recent traumatic event and has since believed this is the culprit.

She, (like me and the rest of my siblings) have endured quite a bit of trauma throughout our lives and ALL five of us live/have lived with varying degrees of TMS (although none subscribe to the TMS diagnosis as firmly as I).

She went for an MRI last week and just returned from a Neurosurgeon's office.
    What do you think happened?
    You guessed it...they want her to have surgery immediately.

I am beside myself as she is a quintessential TMS case and, I went through this exact thing 12 years ago and thankfully opted out of surgery and am now fine.

I am feeling racked with panic right now as I know this surgery cannot occur.

I know that she needs a crash course in TMS.

She is feeling terrified right now and I wouldn't be surprised if the pains get worse now that she's received the diagnosis of emergency surgery,

What do I do here?

How do I approach this?

Is there someone I can get her on the phone with (maybe a Dr.) that can at a minimum explain TMS to her and get her to push pause on the surgery?

I appreciate any and all comments/recommendations here.

Thank you for reading.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Sometimes folks need surgery, sometimes they don’t. The most important thing to remember is that all you can do is present options but the choice of her path is her own.
    Dr. Hanscom advises people about surgeries for spines, you night try and contact him. Steve Ozanich does consulting calls. There are also some other great resources. The Love Heals film is new, and is about Dana who had two failed spine surgeries, it presents a wide variety of healing modalities and touches on emotions, childhood trauma and unrealized anger along with a change of mindset. Don’t forget Dr. Sarno books.
    Really all you can do is give her a book, buy her an online pass to the movie or offer her a few phone numbers. She can alway cancel a scheduled surgery if she changes her mind... but all decisions are hers. It may simply be comforting to her to know she has options.

Wishing you both the best

3. avik

avik Well known member

Thanks very much.
    Where can I find Dr. Hanscom's info?

4. mbo

mbo Well known member

https://backincontrol.com (Home)

https://www.thismighthurtfilm.com (This Might Hurt)

https://ppdassociation.org (Psychophysiologic Disorders Association)

Years ago I suffered from "cauda equina", a panicking condition !

Doctors said me "immediate surgery".

False alarm !!!! I discovered tons of rage, frustration and fury inside me.... and the excruciating pain dissapeared in four or five days.
    Awesome !!!!!
    Good luck!
    M

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr. Hanscom, absolutely - he's a former spine surgeon in Seattle who started asking his pre-operative patients to go through his original "Back In Control" program - which he developed based on his own history of failed back surgery and his eventual recovery by following Dr. Sarno's theories. He had so much success getting his patients to cancel their surgeries that he eventually quit his career, and is now working full time on spreading the word.

Good luck Avik!