1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Exercise advice and experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by PumpkinPie, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PumpkinPie

PumpkinPie New Member

Hi
    I have been returning to activity and exercise in spite of the pain in my left leg and buttock (feels like nerve pain, pins and needs, deep soreness in my hip)
    I have gone back to riding my horse, and completed a 4 day trail ride last week with minimal pain
    Last week I started a programme of running / walking , and am struggling with the pain during the run phases and find my mind fixing on the pain and despairing "will this EVER go away?". I know that's not helping so am looking for any advice, experience and guidance about returning to exercise in spite of pain and how to talk to my pain effectively when it increases?

2. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

The best advice I can give you (Dr Sarno's advice) is "just do it". If it is TMS , you already know it is harmless. This advice has worked wonders for me. I returned to Powerlifting (300lb benches, close to 500lb deadlifts after suffering a broken neck decades ago, etc.). I will be 60 yrs old this year. Please don't take this as being boastful. It just amazes me how this advice has helped me overcome the fears and frustrations I have had. If there is one thing that is helping me overcome chronic pain it is overcoming the fear of pain. I hope this helps to ease your mind PumkinPie, and good luck in returning to exercise.

Click#7, Sita and Durga like this.