1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling sadness also makes me feel fear and anxiety

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Davideus85, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Davideus85

Davideus85 Peer Supporter

I've been coming to terms with the fact that I have been holding in a LOT of sadness. But when I try to open myself up to feeling this sadness, it inadvertently also opens me up to a lot of fear and anxiety. Which is causing my symptoms to get WORSE. i.e. I just lost someone, and I am trying to mourn them, so I cry. But then it brings my attention to the fact that they are gone and I don't know how I will live without them (causing fear and anxiety). I have strong feelings of abandonment from family which makes me so sad because I feel so alone. Now my thoughts turn to "I am going to be alone forever, no matter what I do" which puts me into a panic. Has anyone else experienced this? How do you open yourself up to strong feelings without also inviting in all the fear and anxiety?

2. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Don't ruminate on what you don't like about yourself. Appreciate yourself and enjoy your good traits. Feelings can be generated and released easily- it's easy to fall into the rabbit hole of "what causes what", so immediately bring to mind something you value instead.

Sorry that your family hasn't been understanding. Society's perpetual attitude on how people are "broken" vs. "perfect" is a really bad excuse for a lack of empathy. It's ok to feel upset for how you were treated, and now you have to insist on the best life for yourself.

Be your biggest cheerleader even as you have to ride the waves of emotions and TMS. Welcome any support and positive people into your life. LOA (Law of Attraction) is really nice for this.

Having a more sensitive body/mind can be a double edged sword, but with the right self care, it can be a lot more meaningful.