1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Alex B. fibromyalgia and anger

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hello,

I'm inquiring for insight into my pain.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have every kind of pain. Muscle, joint (no swelling), tendon pain, burning pain, aching pain, and tender to touch pain. I also experience tingling and stinging pain all over the place along with muscle spasms and itching. My pain is always moving around. I've noticed that anytime I have strong emotions I get more pain, especially burning pain. All my pain started after suppressing major anger towards my mom after experiencing rejection from her. I consciously decided that I did not want to be vulnerable anymore and stuffed so much anger towards my self and parents inside. One month following this I began to experience knee pain which gradually developed into widespread pain and paresthesias. This pain dramatically increased after being further stressed by doctors who did not believe me. My X-rays of my knees and back were normal not even any arthritis. All my blood work came back normal. It was then I recieved a fibro diagnosis. I also have a history of generalized anxiety, depression, mild carpal tunnel syndrome, mild plantar fasciitis, mild TMJ, insomnia and muscle spasms. I just very recently learned of TMS so I am not certain if that is what is going on. Furthermore, I read Dr. Sarno's book "Mindbody Prescription" and I fit the TMS personality to a "T." I would appreciate assistance with this. Also what should I do next? I am overwhelmed with all the information here.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi there, thanks for posting!

What you are describing sounds like a very clear case of TMS. Almost every aspect of your symptoms, as well as what you describe about your feelings and relationships, are factors that give rise to it. To cap it off, you have begun to familiarize yourself with the concept and find that you fit the profile perfectly. While this can be overwhelming, it's good news! It means that you have a framework for understanding what is going on and a way to effectively approach it. So I'm glad you're here.

There is a ton of info and sorting through it all can seem daunting, I know. The first and most important thing for you to do is to begin to address the fear and anxiety that your symptoms are generating. By seeing that what you are dealing with is not in fact structural, you can begin to give yourself a break from the worry that your pain puts on you. By changing your relationship with your symptoms, so that you begin to see them not as markers of physical damage but as a guide that can show you the way towards a more complete understanding of yourself and your needs, the pain will lose it's capacity to terrify you.

I would recommend that you start with the TMS Recovery Program created by my colleague Alan Gordon. It will help you to understand TMS and how you can engage with it not from a place of pressure and fear, but from a loving and compassionate stance. Overcoming TMS is all about taking care of yourself and I think the Recovery Program gives some good insight into how you can begin to do that.

Take it slow and try not to rush yourself to read everything and absorb all that is here. I know you want to feel better, and you certainly can, but pressuring yourself to smash through is not the way to get there. Step-by-step, day-by-day is the way to go. If you find that the resources here are not enough, I recommend reaching out to one of the TMS Therapists who posts on the site. Having someone to guide you through the process can be very helpful as you work to understand your specific relationship to TMS.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.