1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Finally ready to call it a SUCCESS!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by MellieV, Jul 6, 2016.

1. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

I've been away from the boards and website for quite a while now, since shortly after completing the SEP. I started the program January 24 of this year (2016), and completed it in roughly 60 days. At that time I never thought I would ever be able to write my success story on these same forums.
    As you can read in my "My Story," I was experiencing the things that everyone on here is experiencing: pain, panic, anxiety, hopelessness, seclusion, fear, etc. On Day 1 of the program, the question posed was, "What would a life without TMS mean to you?" My answer was quite simple, two words actually - complete freedom. I meant freedom from all of things I listed above, and I believed it was a long shot. But 3 Sarno books, 1 Steve O book, countless videos, and a TMS program later, here I am.

I officially realized my success story was real one about week ago when I returned from a 5 day trip to Universal Studios Orlando. And, trust me, the hauntings of my pain past lingered up until the moment I stepped on the plane. I knew if I could get through this travel, I could officially call myself a success. And I'm here to tell you I did! I remember on of the first things I posted on the SEP forum was that I walked my dog with my husband about 2 city blocks, and that was more than I'd done in months, and enough to put me back to bed for days. Just 6 months later, I walked countless hours in Orlando, side by side with my husband and kids, fearlessly. Now, I still get some aches and pains, and yes, my feet/legs hurt from all of that walking - but so did everyone else's!
    I now walk my dog two miles every single night! (she won't let me skip a night LOL!) I remember the first night I committed to a two-mile I was sweating the whole way, my feet had pins and needles 15 minutes in, but I kept pushing. Night after night, it was a new pain sensation. When I beat the pain, I would mysteriously loose my breath, or my eyes would go fuzzy. I knew it was TMS and pushed on every single night. I now walk with no pain and no fear. Two miles. Piece of cake.
    I successfully cut the link between my pain and fear. For me, this was the KEY TO MY HEALING.

Looking back, everything about my back, leg, knee and foot pain was almost metaphorical for what I was feeling emotionally, both past and present. I even started to see that my knee braces, foot wraps, heating pads, and lumbar support pillows as tangible objects of what I was yearning for - support, love, warmth, soothing - deep down (subconsciously) everything I felt I was lacking. I wrote incessantly, meditated, prayed, read, recited quotes over and over. I cried tears that felt like they came from places so deep, I exhausted myself. It was not easy, and sometimes my pain is still dying to come back to "protect" me BUT, I no longer FEAR it. I celebrated every minor little thing I accomplished. Even something as simple as standing for 10 minutes to cut vegetables. (I really celebrated that)
    I've learned a lot about myself during my healing, and I hope you all do too. Then I fully accepted myself, and I hope you all do too.

I am proof that this works. I am proof that you can beat TMS. I am proof that you can get your life back.
    It might not happen overnight, God knows it didn't for me, but it's possible!! No matter where you are in your journey, don't give up!

F - face
    E - everything
    A - and
    R - recover

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh, Mellie, I wish I could Like this many times! This is great news, and an awesome telling of it.

Thank you for sharing it with everyone here! dancea

MellieV likes this.
  3. brendan537

brendan537 Peer Supporter

Mellie V I needed this thank you so much! You're amazing! Keep keeping on!

Shells, healing26 and MellieV like this.
  4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I'm so thrilled for you, Mellie! Blessings for continued recovery.tiphata

MellieV likes this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Great story! Thanks for coming back to share it with us. It will inspire many people.

MellieV likes this.
  6. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

Thanks, Brendan. I was actually wondering how you were. I hope you're making progress too!

7. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

Thank you, Ellen, I hope so.

8. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

Thanks, Gigi!

9. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Mellie, well done sweetheart.

Thank you for identifying the key to healing for you. I really appreciate these insights.

May your life be blessed with much love and joy. And may your dog enjoy lots of lovely long walks. :)

MellieV likes this.
  10. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I cried reading this. I related to it so much. You have had such a profound, deep healing and will give hope to many. I am so excited and happy for you.

MellieV likes this.
  11. brendan537

brendan537 Peer Supporter

Mellie V I am still on this roller coaster I have my days. Haven't gone a full day pain free yet but some days are better than others that's for sure.

MellieV likes this.
  12. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

Thanks you so much, I'm glad to continue knowing my story is relatable to others who have walked this path to healing!

13. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

Any little bit is a small victory as far as I'm concerned, Brendan. Keep pushing forward, I know you will find your breakthrough.

brendan537 likes this.
  14. TheKingAdRock

TheKingAdRock New Member

getting over the FEAR is such a key part to recovery. i'm so happy you have made a recovery!

reading that actually made me burst into tears and i'm not exactly sure why. part of hit was how much i related to it.

MellieV and brendan537 like this.
  15. MellieV

MellieV Peer Supporter

I am so glad to hear that you were moved in some way by my story, KingAdRock (love that screen name btw ;). I related to others on here along the way too, and it helped to keep propelling me forward. It's funny -in a good way- how you find something that resonates for whatever reason. I still come on from time to time to watch motivational videos. Hope you are well!

16. mirepoix

mirepoix Peer Supporter

Thank you for sharing. It is helpful to those of us struggling. The success stories are important to hear and it's valuable service to come back to share them.

17. Jodi

Jodi Newcomer

Very inspiring. Yours is the first success story I've read. You've given me hope! :shame:

MWsunin12 likes this.
  18. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

Love this. No fear no pain.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  19. AutumnIsMyFave

AutumnIsMyFave Peer Supporter

20. AutumnIsMyFave

AutumnIsMyFave Peer Supporter

Thank you for sharing your success story - stories like your's provide me with hope. Big congrats on your success!!