1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Finding hidden anger

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Pemberley, Jan 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pemberley

Pemberley Peer Supporter

I’ve been reading “Freedom from Fibromyalgia” by Dr. Nancy Selfridge since there’s a forward by Dr. Sarno, and it’s basically the author’s own strategy that she used on herself to conquer TMS.

One thing I really like so far is that she gives some tips on finding anger. Dr. Sarno wrote that it’s not the anger that you’re aware of that’s causing the symptoms – we should be looking at the little things, annoyances, frustrations that might be triggering something much deeper. For many years, I’ve journaled about a lot of these little things that I know about myself. But in this book, she has slightly shifted my thinking. It has a great chart (page 136) for you to start recording when you notice these little things that might be clues to your hidden rage. The columns are like this:

- Summarize the anger
    - Locate it in time
    - Identify the source
    - Describe how you got rid of it

Based on her tips, I used this last night to deal with a minor annoyance with my daughter who keeps leaving the tub mat in the shower instead of draping it to dry out. Definitely not something that I would consider “anger,” but it’s a nuisance to keep reminding her and I’m getting tired of hearing my own nagging. So using Dr. Selfridge’s advice:

- Summarize the anger = Annoyed that tub mat was left out again
    - Locate it in time = Early evening while I’m making dinner
    - Identify the source = Daughter
    - Describe how you got rid of it = Told her to pick it up again, but specifically said (and this is new for me), “It’s disrespectful to the rest of the family to leave it out and make us have to deal with it.”

I’m not expecting that I won’t have to nag again about the tub mat… But it’s the whole idea of training yourself to start thinking psychological, rather than focusing on the symptoms. Also, if the irritation only feels like a minor thing, I’m not going to feel enough “anger” to punch a pillow, scream or whatever. Sometimes this is just speaking our minds like I did last night.

So I thought I’d throw this out there and 2 questions to the forum:

1) What are some of your examples of these little irritations/frustrations, and how do you approach the last column – “Describe how you got rid of it”? (Especially if it’s about your boss and you can’t exactly speak your mind.)

2) What are some things that you know, rationally, should make you angry but they don’t, and how do you bring yourself to start feeling angry about it?

2. Pemberley

Pemberley Peer Supporter

Whoops -- sorry! I meant to put this in the General Discussion Subforum. I just re-posted it there since it's really more about techniques.