1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Flare-ups

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by bobbarr, May 9, 2022.

1. bobbarr

bobbarr New Member

I've been having a lot of success slowly curing my chronic pain with a mix of journaling and somatic tracking. But I'm in the middle of a huge flareup. Does anyone have any advice for how to nip a flareup in the bud? More somatic tracking while in a flareup always makes it worse.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

A flair is really your nervous system super activated. If you feel tracking is too activating you can switch from tracking body sensations of pain body sensations of emotion, or you could try meditating. Something amazingly calming and chill. Lately I have enjoyed or just breathing along with slow paced piano music. My favorites are on insite timer and are paced for slower breathing.
    Reminding yourself this is temporary, you’ve been learning so much and that this is the opportunity to practice all the skills again, explore your triggers and be kind to yourself.
    May it pass soon

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

never ever agreed with that technique...it seems most of the people who aren't getting well quickly use this.

Focusing on the body is always a formula for MORE pain and Sarno was crystal clear about that

Whenever I have a flare I instantly go get alone and make a list of everything going on in my life. It usually means something happened that I was consciously "OK" with that I really am NOT "OK" with but my goodism/conditioned response is to ignore it.

Generally when I can figure out what snuck by unobserved, the symptoms end....mind you I have been doing this for 20 something years. Sometimes if the thing that snuck by is particularly rage inducing I need to address it...

Ellen likes this.