1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Dr. Clarke Food sensitivities and TMS

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    For the past 35 years I have had severe food sensitivities. I have been tested for every G.I. problem imaginable, but nothing shows up. My symptoms are neurological, such as headaches, rest less legs, and burning in the buttocks, kidney pain and insomnia. There is no diarrhea or indigestion.
    Right now the only foods I am able to eat without any problems is fish and green leafy vegetables. This problem controls my life and for the past year I have been rapidly losing weight. I am only able to take sublingual supplements. There is a nutritionist who works with me who has been a great help with enzymes.

I have read Dr. Sarno's book but am unable to determine if I have TMS.

My childhood and early adulthood was extremely traumatic and there are a lot of unresolved issues, fear and anxiety. How do I determine if my problem is TMS?

2. davidclarke

davidclarke Author & Physician

Answer
    It would be most unusual to have a food sensitivity manifest with neurologic symptoms and not also with diarrhea due to the body attempting to rid itself of the offending food. Many people with PPD(TMS) react to their symptoms by thinking about what they ate recently and blaming that. Before long their diets are highly restricted.
    The 35 year duration of the symptoms makes it unlikely that something other than PPD (TMS) is going on but the weight loss is a concern (especially if this is a new development) so I hope when you write you have been evaluated "for every GI problem imaginable" that this was done by a physician who looked for celiac disease (gluten sensitivity) and adrenal insufficiency among other possibilities.
    Assuming you have had a thorough evaluation by a physician (including for the weight loss) then it strikes me that PPD (TMS) is high on the list of possible causes of your symptoms. The only way to confirm this is to cure (or at least substantially relieve) the symptoms by uncovering and treating the underlying psychosocial issues, which in your case likely center around the long-term consequences of traumatic early years which includes fear and anxiety. Here you may benefit from reading books that go into more psychological depth than Dr Sarno's works (such as those at www.stressillness.com, www.unlearnyourpain.com and www.pathwaystopainrelief.com) and/or from working with a therapist who is experienced in these issues. My best wishes for a rapid and full recovery.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

Anne Walker and North Star like this.