1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Four Simple Rituals from Neuroscience to Increase Happiness

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ellen, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I found this article in Time magazine with four very simple things we can do that help increase our happiness. These are all backed up by neuroscience research. I have used writing in a Gratitude Journal daily for some time and know that it works, and only takes a few minutes every evening. There are apps you can use on your phone, and mine sends me a reminder every evening. The part about how guilt, shame, worry show up in the reward centers of our brain is interesting. No wonder it feels like an addiction and is hard to break the habit.

http://theweek.com/articles/601157/neuroscience-reveals-4-rituals-that-make-happy (Neuroscience reveals 4 rituals that will make you happy)

BloodMoon, mouser, Mermaid and 2 others like this.
  2. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

hug hug hug.
    Thanks Ellen.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ellen,

Wonderful accessible article. Worthy of posting elsewhere... Thank you.

The "labeling emotions" is exactly a basic practice in my self compassion teaching...interesting to see it supported here.

Andy B

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I wonder if the process of labeling emotions is, in part, why journaling and talk therapy can be effective. It is also recommended in working with children.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I think for me, it helps to name something, and acknowledge my experience exactly as it is. This, I think takes away or significantly reduces the rejecting relationship with the experience. It is the rejection of the experience (conscious or unconsciously) that makes the experience more sticky and less fluid, less "acceptable." There is also something very important about "being seen" in our experience, or "being felt" in our experience, either by our self, or by others which is a deep need, and which relaxes us when met. This probably goes back to the deep need for empathy and attunement by our caretakers. Just as physical contact is needed.

Ellen likes this.