1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Four Years Pain Free - My TMS Story

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by jwhitacre, Mar 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jwhitacre

jwhitacre Newcomer

MY STORY – THE SHORT VERSION
    I battled various forms and degrees of chronic pain for years. I have been formally diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease in my spine, pinched nerves, plantar fasciitis in my foot, a displaced bone segment in my shoulder from a broken bone that did not heal correctly and that rubs on other bone/nerves, a displaced bone segment in my foot that didn’t heal correctly and that rubs against other bone/nerves, and what I was told was significant neck damage due to a head-on car accident. I was told in no uncertain terms that my conditions were not curable without risky surgery, but that by working the rest of my life with physical therapy, strengthening and treatment, I could at least manage them to some degree. I spent the better part of a year working with a chiropractor, strengthening my core, stretching my muscles, changing my office ergonomics and getting regular treatments and yet my condition was only deteriorating.

Flash forward a few years and I discovered the work of Dr. John E Sarno and I read the book Healing Back Pain, The Mind Body Connection. Within about 3-6 months I was able to eliminate every one of these painful symptoms from the most minor tendon stiffness to the most debilitating back spasms. I have remained pain-free for a period of over four years. The only thing I did was read and learn. Yes, you heard me correctly and no, I am not selling you anything. What I learned was that my pain was not being caused by the physical condition that I and my doctor were associating it with. What me, and a great majority of others, suffering chronic and even severe pain are experience is oxygen deprivation to the muscles and tendons surrounding the perceived injury. I understand that my personal experience and results are completely anecdotal but I can also assure you that they are far from uncommon.

If you are interested in hearing my full story please visit my blog: http://www.livebreathemove.com/2018/03/06/my-personal-experience-healing-chronic-pain/ (My Personal Experience Healing Chronic Pain - Live, Breathe, Move)

fbcoach, EileenS, JanAtheCPA and 7 others like this.
  2. birder

birder Well known member

Had some time on my hands, so I followed the link and read your blog. Incredible, fun read - I highly recommend it! (And you don't even have to buy anything, lol).

jwhitacre likes this.
  3. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Thanks for your post. I enjoyed reading your blog. Your comment on your blog gave me pause to think on the practice of reviewing my past (so to speak). For those who have not read Jwhitacre's blog he states at the end . . .

"I probably don’t spend nearly as much time focused on emotions as most people I read about. I would say that is especially true for people actively involved in the TMS Wiki. Obviously there are different ways to come at it, but my background and ongoing work is mindfulness based. I focus on recognizing and feeling my emotions in the present moment but not digging at them or spending much time dealing with my “past story”. I also find that if I link certain bad emotional feeling to my TMS symptoms then I create a link in my mind that brings back the symptom every time I feel that negative emotion. To remain pain free regardless of emotional or physical state, I have to stay focused on the present and on the bigger picture of my pain and its source."

I wish you continued success and happiness. Sarno was definitely a shining star, and continues to shine for all of us who choose to listen to his message(s)

Thanks
    Lainey

BloodMoon, JanAtheCPA and jwhitacre like this.
  4. mbo

mbo Well known member

AWESOME !!!!!!
    Great stuff
    Congrats !!!!

jwhitacre likes this.
  5. nancy

nancy Well known member

STUNNING, I loved your post and read from top to bottom several times, heading for the couch to read Healing Back
    pain again. I have had pain for 13 yrs and I know it is in my head, but life for the last several yrs has been so very scary,
    moving, deaths, sons at war, loss of my spouse, etc. I am determined to get back to myself!!! Thank You, your info
    was incredibly helpful, Nancy

Marinedad and jwhitacre like this.
  6. Ewok2

Ewok2 Peer Supporter

That is an awesome story! And beautiful pictures! I followed the link to your long story - it is so well written and would make an amazing ‘first look’ or introduction to TMS to send to someone as a link because you lay it out so clearly and sensibly and answer all the questions people usually come up with.

Do you have any tips on how to build and maintain confidence in TMS being the correct diagnosis, especially for those of us with less common (non-back / neck etc. ) conditions?

birder likes this.
  7. jwhitacre

jwhitacre Newcomer

For me, the more I read, the more confidence I got. So I would suggest reading everything you can especially Sarno books and success stories. I am not sure how much time I would spend on forums or FB groups if you are still struggling with confidence. Even though they make up a relatively small number in the groups the ones that are long time strugglers tend to dominate the conversation which can be a setback for those looking to gain confidence and lose doubt. The other thing that was very helpful for me was to push myself physically. I see this as a huge obstacle for a lot of people but once I had convinced myself that my original diagnosis was bogus and that my pain was oxygen deprivation, I really went after it physically. I tested out my back and shoulder by doing everything I could that I was told I shouldn't do. Even though I never talked to him again, I was on a daily mission to prove my chiropractor wrong. There was pain at first but when it was not nearly as bad as my head thought. I kept going and it kept getting less painful.

JanAtheCPA, Lainey and Ewok2 like this.
  8. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Did you ever experience nerve pain because to me that is the worst ?

9. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@Ewok2 , I branched out from Dr. Sarno, and the other books that really blew my mind wide open (eg: more open-minded!) were When The Body Says No, by Dr. Gabor Mate, MD and The Anatomy of Hope, by Dr. Jerome, Groopman, MD.

They aren't necessarily easy reads if you are (or rather, your primitive brain is) easily upset by other people's health struggles, but both books are beautifully written by two very compassionate physicians, who have gone well beyond traditional medical practice to embrace a future that includes mind-body knowledge and treatment.

Thank you, @jwhitacre for your excellent Success Story! I'll read your blog after tax season ;)

Ewok2 likes this.
  10. jwhitacre

jwhitacre Newcomer

Yes, I had "pinched nerves" that caused excruciating pain. Well, I thought and was told that it was pinched nerves anyway. I explain all about it in the blog post I shared.

11. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

This is an amazing story. Thank you for posting it jwhitacre. I hope it gets put under success stories. Everyone who goes on this site needs to read it, and read it, and read it. I cringed when I read about the popping sounds, and yet you have no pain! I'm one of those people who went from the barely walking dead to 95-98% recovery, but my medical diagnoses are meaningless compared to your 'bone on bone' diagnoses. There's absolutely no reason why I and others should have any doubt now in TMS being the reason for any of our remaining physical issues.

By the way, there is a great article on the Houzz website today about a couple like you and your wife who bought and renovated a fifth wheeler trailer. Great article if you are looking to spruce things up in your space. Have fun on the road.

Lainey likes this.
  12. jwhitacre

jwhitacre Newcomer

Thanks Eileen. That is very kind. And we are always looking to spruce up our space. At this point we have replaced all the furniture, most of the trim and window treatments and we have completely painted the interior twice. Still not quite where we want it though!

Click#7 likes this.
  13. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

did you ever take any pain meds even advil?

14. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

Seems we have same story

15. nancy

nancy Well known member

hi Marinedad, yes are stories are very much alike. I am trying to ignore the discomfort and I think I can understand
    very well just what you are experiencing. Too much emotional pain, we don't realize at the time that all the stresses
    are building before we reach a point where the physical pain starts. Then of course we chase through the medical world
    searching desperately for a way out. I think alot of my problem is blaming myself. I am extremely hard on myself and maybe
    you may be too? I do know that I'm an empath and always try to do the right thing but am still harsh on myself. Hope you are
    feeling better. Nancy

BinLA likes this.
  16. Tom2374

Tom2374 Newcomer

Amazing story.

Did you have to directly address any of your inner emotional rage/fear as part of your healing process? For example, did you go through conscious experiences of crying, screaming, etc?

17. heidicat27

heidicat27 New Member

This is so, so helpful! I've had a relapse and have been just misplacing the blame. Rather than it being a structural program, I've been blaming a stressful workweek and a tumultuous relationship. No wonder the pain has been sticking around!! When you get TMS symptoms, do you ever take ibuprofen or advil? Or do you just stick it out knowing that it will go away?

18. Marinedad

Hello Happy 4th ...I stop taking the antidepressant my pain dr gave me total waste of time know he wants to give me shots. I said no way wtf is wrong with these dr I don’t even have back pain

19. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

For those looking for a good read, click on the link. You won't be disappointed.

jwhitacre,
    Thank you for sharing your experience. The last few paragraphs really made a lot of sense to me. Having OCD tendencies and being a Perfectionist, you re-stating that it is the knowledge of repressed emotions and O2 deprivation (as Dr Sarno always stated) being the main cause was an AHA moment for me. I took what Dr Sarno and Steven Ozanich said about becoming physical to heart. I have proven many times to myself that we are much stronger and durable than we believe we are, and it truly is no reason to fear physical activity. However, in my case (being OCD) I get frustrated with my strength and conditioning results. I always want to be stronger and stronger and in better condition. It is this dissatisfaction with myself that is one of the driving forces of continuing pain. I associate getting stronger and in better shape with overcoming the pain, and I know this is not the answer. It is having the knowledge of repressed emotions and O2 deprivation that truly is the answer. I will continue to impress that upon my autonomicNS/ subconscious. Again, thank you for reiterating this to me. Loved your blog.

20. Marinedad

Since I been the curable app my pain as been getting worse and moving around feeling terrible but getting threw one day at time