1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Free app to learn meditation

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Cactusflower, Apr 22, 2023.

1. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

A few folks have asked how to meditate.
    Healthy Minds is a free app that generates it's content for you, based on a few questionnaires you answer about where you are at in your head. It asks about your self-perception and your ability to deal with stress and begins by teaching skills and exposing you or suggesting to you a variety of ways in which you can choose to do the meditation.
    You can download the app to any smartphone using your app down loader.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for this recommendation, @Cactusflower!

This is a very interesting non-profit mental health research organization: Healthy Mind Innovations - and the Healthy Minds Program app looks very nice - really good reviews for the Android version.

I found these excerpts from their historical timeline which nicely explain their focus and goal - very cool:

First version of the Healthy Minds Program mobile app utilizing the ACIP (Awareness + Connection + Insight + Purpose) framework developed. “What we do is based on a comprehensive framework for well-being. It’s not a mindfulness platform. The analogy I use most often is you would never go to the gym and just work on your upper body. If you did that it would be good for your upper body for awhile but eventually it would lead to imbalance. And the same is true for mindfulness.” – Dr. Richard Davidson

Healthy Minds Program App becomes donation based, in line with our vision and mission. The decision to make the app freely available to individuals is based on the generosity of our donors and the guiding principle to put our well-being tools in the hands of as many people as possible, not just a privileged few. “I really feel a moral calling [to help people develop well-being as a skill], because I feel most people would agree that the trajectory we’ve been on is not a particularly healthy or sustainable one. Everyone has a role to play in this, everyone can be a participant, just like with climate science. Everyone can play a constructive role in helping the planet heal.” – Dr. Davidson
    Note: Free, and no ads, either! It's an educational program supported by grants and donors.

3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

There is also a new 10 min. meditation for learning to just "be" with chronic pain symptoms and a bit of an explanation similar to Pain Reprocessing.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I completed the questionnaire and have listened to several intro lessons and completed some of the meditations, which are all very short - Just 6 or 7 minutes each. Perfect for someone with a brain that is resistant to making a commitment. I thought the meditation was really excellent for absolute beginners. I'm no beginner, but I very much appreciated seeing how the lesson unfolded - plus for me, any meditation that I actually do is great :D The questionnaire did not ask about meditation experience, which is probably a good thing. As someone with a brain that is very resistant to making this commitment, in spite of the fact that my rational brain completely believes in the value of meditation, starting at the beginning is necessary - and this app makes it easy. You can also set up daily reminders, of course!

I have Calm (free with my Kaiser health plan) and I subscribe to Ten Percent Happier (which I appreciate for many different reasons) but the problem with them is they present you with too many choices when you open up the app. On 10%, the introductory course is daunting, with lengthy sessions that require setting aside significant chunks of time. And so many choices of many topics and wonderful teachers - I go immediately into Freeze, and just set it aside for "later" which never arrives.

This feels like a very well-designed program - a lot of thoughtfullness as well as research has gone into it.