1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Fun makes the pain go away

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by North Star, Dec 21, 2014.

1. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

This past week, hubby and I celebrated 26 years of marriage. For the first time every, we did it up big in celebrating. Something we've never done before. (Getting married in the Christmas season wasn't one of our smarter decisions but oh well…what's a young and in-lust couple to do, eh?)

We got a room at a nice hotel that was within walking distance to a a Piano Guys concert. I LOVE The Piano Guys. They're like my happy fix whenever I need help cheering up.

We were one block into the 6 block walk when it occurred to me that I was having absolutely NO Achilles pain. I could walk at a brisk pace and it felt normal for the first time in….uh, can't remember how long. I even stopped to see if was still knotted. Yup. Still knotted. But no pain.

This is a TMS symptom that has gone on over four years. The first hint was that originally, it was my right Achilles that would give me fits. Every PT, foot doc, chiropractor, etc.. explained why the RIGHT one was acting up. I had custom orthotics, "gait training" ad nauseam.

Well, their ideas worked great except for short periods of time and then….the swelling, pain, knotted appearance….jumped over to the left foot. And I've been gimping for the last few years.

Anyhoo. All this to say, fun makes pain go away.

So go have some fun! And if you need help getting into the mood, here's one of my favorite TPG's videos:

BloodMoon, Laudisco, Barb M. and 6 others like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

That's wonderful, @North Star. When pain does insane things like move around, it sometimes feels to me like the TMS has overplayed its hand. As if it got cocky and just showed me that it wasn't real, thereby helping me to fear it less.

Laudisco, Barb M., 575 and 2 others like this.
  3. 575

575 Peer Supporter

Side switching pain is what really helped me finding out that I had TMS.
    If anyone experiences that - CONGRATS, your body is perfectly fine, pain is yesterday.

North Star and Forest like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That's a great video. I find lots of ways to have fun and it takes my mind off worries, anxieties.
    I'm 84 so I find more fun distractions on TV and the Internet. Youtube has an unbelievable number of videos that
    can help us forget our aches and pains.

North Star likes this.
  5. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

This is such an encouragement! I've been having fun recently painting my friend's car, and this has helped me relax and take my mind off the TMS symptoms.

North Star and Forest like this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Laudisco. Painting your friend's car must be fun and take your mind off any worry or pain.

I was alone one Thanksgiving and kept busy at home by painting the overhead pipes in my basement orange.
    The hours passed pleasantly by painting, listening to music, and having a few beers.

I put the time to good use and never hit my head on those pipes again!