1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

George Soros, Backaches and Financial Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

For some hard to fathom reason I was researching George Soros on the Wiki, and found this TMS'y snippet:

"I'm only rich because I know when I'm wrong ... I basically have survived by recognizing my mistakes. I very often used to get backaches due to the fact that I was wrong. Whenever you are wrong you have to fight or [take] flight. When make the decision, the backache goes away.[40]"

This may be good advice for getting unstuck and making financial decisions.

P.S. If you have't noticed those Christmas bells Forest put on the top of the wiki page jingle when you hit them. Forest, thanks for all the work you do for the TMS Wiki.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Soros' choice of words does summarize the fight-flight-freeze survival instinct driving the TMS mechanism.

Forest likes this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for the interesting quote, Tom, and for the thoughtful words.

It's interesting how sometimes your body, or more precisely, your reptilian brain, seems to know when you are wrong. As an example, year ago, I was trying to earn my PhD, but it was in a subject that I didn't love enough. I think my reptilian brain knew this. As a result, I found it almost impossible to do research. My reptilian brain wouldn't let me. It was burnt out and had figured out that the doctoral program wasn't right for me before my conscious brain had. Just like Soros's reptilian brain knew when he was wrong and expressed it through stress and back pain, my reprilian brain knew the doctoral program was wrong and refused to allow me to work. I am sad that I don't have a PhD, but I'm very glad I founded this nonprofit!

As a bit of trivia, I actually shook Soros's hand a couple years back. A nonprofit he started, named INET, gave me a scholarship for a conference that they organized and he was at. I wanted him to feel how grateful we were for the opportunity, so I thanked him. I was studying finance for my PhD and it was a great opportunity to attend a conference and see some important figures in international finance.

Of course, especially since this is an international website, I can't necessarily endorse how he made his money. It was his hedge fund, the Quantum Fund, that "Broke the Bank of England" and did other big currency attacks. It was all all perfectly legal and in the spirit of international capitalism, but a lot of people are angry at him.

Anyway, that's my story. Thanks for the quote. Soros was a tremendously talented investor.

IrishSceptic and Tennis Tom like this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Thanks Forest, another thing I found instructive about Soros, when he decided to quit being a salesman wanting to become rich, he sent his resume to all the banks he could find, and one hired him--I guess like Dillinger, when asked why he robbed banks?, he replied " 'Cause that's where the money is."

Cheers,
    tt/lsmft

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    Forest likes this.
  5. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Great anecdote about Soros, I like him. Being Irish I don't mind his breaking of the BOE :D

there is much to understand about the brain and when you consider scientific research is relatively young who knows what could be uncovered?

Joe Dispenzas ''you are the placebo'' contains some useful anecdotes but not sure how entirely spot on he is. I suspect his credentials due to his history with Chiro.

He referenced Cambodian women who witnessed unimaginable horror at the hands of the Khmer Rouge and as a consequence suffered psychosomatic blindness. In a way i suppose by shutting down vision the brain was trying to protect itself as it couldn't process any more visual trauma .

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/09/08/u...es-that-saw-horrors-now-see-only-shadows.html

Forest likes this.
  6. BruceMC

I'm with you CelticSceptic: I was suspicious of "Dr" Dispenza the minute I noticed his doctorate was from a chiropractic school. I wondered too about the data in his CAT scans. Did his meditation program merely reduce the symptoms of patients with MS and Parkinson's Disease or did it actually cure those disorders? I gather that traditional allopathic doctors believe that relaxation techniques can reduce symptoms but not eradicate the underlying disease process that causes them. I've just thumbed through Dr Joe's book so far, but want to explore his findings further in light of traditional medicine's criticism of alternative forms of therapy (i.e. no pills/no knife).

Okay, okay, Tom. Back to Soros!

Forest likes this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

There are lots of people out there writing books, selling DVDs and videos, giving lectures, and paying for healing.
    A lot people posting in the forums say they've been there and spent thousands of dollars and years but nothing helped
    them to heal as much as Dr. Sarno. So I think it may only delay healing to try other routes and instead put all your
    energy and belief in TMS. It has worked for thousands of others, so give it a chance to work for you. Amen.

Pardon if I step on any doctorate toes, but from my own experience with PhDs I think "piled higher and deeper"
    is often the case. My friend Herbie read the same books they did, without getting college credit, and knows as much
    from them as they do. Read his TMS healing advice (and mine) in our book
    GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO BE IN PAIN. It helps explain Dr. Sarno's TMS approach to healing
    and adds our own healing techniques that are based on his theories, plus we add the element of faith. The book or Kindle version is available at amazon.com books.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  8. Tennis Tom

Hi Walt, bought you and Herbie's book when it came out, looking forward to reading it, I need a TMS Knowledge Booster.

Cheers & Happy N Y,
    tt

9. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

There is the possibility that Dispenza has questionable credentials and research/data, and his theories are correct. I found the ideas in his book interesting and stimulating whether evidence-based or not. I'm not aware of any evidence to support Sarno's theory of the unconscious brain creating pain to distract the conscious brain from repressed emotions, but it makes sense as a way to explain why TMS healing techniques work. It's all cutting edge and it may be awhile before we have evidence to support these theories. I think of it like chasing the Higgs particle to support the original theory. Hopefully, we won't have to build something like the Hadron collider in order to get the evidence we seek.

Forest likes this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Tom. Thanks for buying the book. It has a lot of good TMS healing techniques
    as well as a strong reminder of the power of TMS healing. Take your time reading.

Happy New Year to you too.

11. BruceMC

So, right you are Ellen. That is entirely possible. You have to remember that modern science came out of alchemy, Renaissance magic, and Neo-Platonism (to name only a few of its philosophically shaky antecedents). Scientific hypotheses are always subject to revision based on an influx of new data. By it's very nature, Science is always tentative, rather than dogmatic. I would say, gather all the information you can outside the scientific-materialist box, then test and verify it, and see if our assumptions need to be revised in light of new discoveries. Actually, Dr Joe is someone I really want to work my way through to see if he's onto anything solid that can confirm a link between states of consciousness, changes in brain chemistry, and incidents of self-healing. I really would like to see a bona fide episode of someone curing their Parkinson's or MS using some form of guided meditation therapy. Any evidence that the autonomic and the autoimmune systems are linked would be most welcome.

Ellen and Forest like this.