1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 16 Have you told anyone about TMS?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by lucky one, Jun 28, 2022.

1. lucky one

lucky one New Member

Today is my day 16th on the program. I have been faithfully journaling and confronting all the stressors, past and present and feeling every one of them. I was not able to read Dr. Schubiner's article on triggers as the link does not work. My pain and limping in my knee is still there, sometimes it's better that others but the limping is still there and going strong. What was interesting about today is the question to ponder. Have I told anyone about TMS? I actually told my therapist who said every chronic pain has a component of psychology and structure, but as I confront everything and try to not avoid unpleasant feelings she doesn't think that's the case with me. Also today I saw my pain management physician about the pain being psychosomatic but he does not believe that to be the case, as my hip and knee are popping constantly. When 2 authorities tell you that your pain is not psychosomatic, well, it's kind of disappointing. Obviously, I would prefer TMS than something seriously wrong with me. In any case, I will continue doing the program. Maybe one day I will wake up without pain and I can go to both my doctors and tell them how good I'm feeling. Isn't that a great thought?

I will appreciate all responses, I need some reassurance!!!!

2. Booble

Booble Well known member

I'm new too so take what I say with a grain of salt.
    My guess is that when we use the word "psychosomatic" to physicians in their mind we are invalidating their work. Of course that is not what we are doing but you can see how they might take it that way. With your therapist, she has a certain plan of treatment for you so she doesn't want to throw a curve ball into that. Likewise the pain management physician needs to validate his plan of action. You being able to solve your problems by removing or acknowledging unconscious anger and other emotions doesn't fit into anyone's plan. Except perhaps your own!
    Best of luck as you lighten the load.

suchi and Balsa11 like this.
  3. Booble

Booble Well known member

Oh, I'll also answer your question. I told my husband. I showed him the old 20/20 John Stossel video and also likened it to Rational Recovery which he is familiar with -- having giving up drinking by simply watching a Powerpoint on how the mind works. He thought the TMS was super interesting and he's glad for me to use it and he's considering for his own issues.

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Of course... That is the only nod they give...because if it's not structural They have nothing to work on....also, most therapists deal in COGNITIVE issues ....marriage, job, anger...things of which you are conscious. They are not trained for or able to help with UNconscious anger and emotions. Most professional I have met in my 20plus years of being pain free discard it out of hand...Easy for them to do, right? They aren't feeling my back/leg/hip/jaw/wrist.

I have all sorts of 'noises' in my 56 year old cuerpazo ..and I still work a heavy labor job, play baseball and do whatever I want. I just ignore them. I have noticed they are LOUDER when I am tense.

You might want to check yourself sharing with the 'industry" ...they have a vested interest in keeping you in their understanding.... Healing from TMS is outside their understanding and only threatens them.

I am a bit surprised you are looking for reassurance from them? They are the ones whose failures left you on Sarno's doorstep, No?
    I only laugh at them and their white coated arrogance.

5. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

There are a few doctors on this forum who have been through TMS and so understand it.

6. lucky one

lucky one New Member

Thank you for your answers Booble, Baseball65 and Balsa11.
    Yes, your are quite right. I actually find it easier to deal with TMS now after I've spoken with them. They really try to help but whatever they are doing is not working. I'm continuing with the structured educacional program and I just have to lose the fear of hurting myself, and that's hard to do. The reassurance I was trying to get is from you, not the doctors, therapists, or physical therapists. No more I say. I really appreciate your words. Hopefully one day I can write that I can run without pain or fear of hurting myself.

7. Booble

Booble Well known member

I think the key here are the words, "fear of hurting myself."
    My issue is around my throat and that fear had me keeping quiet for the last couple weeks. I really can't as I have a lot of meetings over the phone-- which I put off. It was REALLY hard to force myself to do a call. I had to very consciously say, "so what -- if it hurts it hurts. If my voice sounds yukky, my voice sounds yukky."
    The weird thing is how when you start babying an area (not using it), your mind definitely wants to continue that. It sounds crazy that I was afraid to try and talk! I had that call yesterday and made it through just fine. Well, not fine as in like normal. But I did it! It was a good meeting. And I overcome that little part of my brain saying, "no....don't do it!"

8. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I am a musician. I also have a voice like a chainsaw BUT a musical chainsaw.

I started noticing my voice would 'Go' when I had a show coming up... no matter how careful I was about smoking, not talking etc.,...ANXIOUS about the outcome!

Then, If I have a show where I am just playing guitar...totally relaxed, voice is fine. Some inner Daemon about performance anxiety seems to give people laryngitis. I don't know if your old enough to remember , but Bill Clinton used to lose his voice at very suspicious times when he was running for office and president... I imagine that is a little anxiety provoking.

Booble likes this.
  9. Booble

Booble Well known member

Oh yes, I can completely relate to that. My work requires meetings over the phone so isn't it just perfect for unconscious performance anxiety to say -- "Sorry, no voice. You can't do your meetings!"

And yes, old enough to remember Bill Clinton and his voice. Good example.

10. suchi

suchi New Member

Spot on!!!!

Booble likes this.
  11. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

My medical Dr. does not get it at all. He is supportive but mind and body are very separate for his work. My dentist is very understanding, so are a few other professionals I’ve seen. Several are even educating themselves and noticing mind-body connections in patients.
    I have several friends who understand TMS to a degree after explaining it and my husband certainly does..a few friends say that major life events/stressors caused illnesses or injuries but did not know it has a name.. others like my family don’t get it at all..

12. Jettie1989

Jettie1989 New Member

I haven't told anyone yet, not even my boyfriend, since I know any response can mess with my head. Also I know for sure they would think I absolutely lost it :p

First I have to work on strengthening my own believe.

Booble likes this.
  13. Xara

Xara Peer Supporter

"Also I know for sure they would think I absolutely lost it :p" :D:D:D
    @Jettie1989 , me too! Except for my husband, I explained it and tried to understand, though it finds it strange.