1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Healed in an instant, and back to pain (Day 1)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by gees, Nov 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gees

gees Newcomer

Hello everyone I am new to the forum I just signed up. My back pain started about a year ago but became really debilitating about 6 months ago. I checked all the boxes with yoga/chiro/PT etc. I found out about Dr. Sarno on reddit and bought the audiobook immediately. I finished it in a 4 hours drive. Normally driving had caused me back pain, but I was probably 80% healed within the first hour and was about 90% better at the end of it. I was overfilled with joy and began going to the gym and running and playing soccer again for the next few days. I also started reading Steve Ozanich's The Great Pain Deception right now. Fast forward a week later and some mild pain i have had in my cervical/thorasic spine area has gotten much worse, my lower back pain is back, and am getting some radiating pain throughout my hips and thighs. I just found out about the program and am hoping this helps. Is this normal? I know the Dr. alludes to the pain getting worse or moving before you can heal, but i feel like i WAS healed and now it is back and it is quite disheartening. Any advice or insight is much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Welcome! It's very normal. I think of it like a honeymoon effect. No need to get disheartened over it. You know now that the pain is psychologically-emotionally driven. You made enormous gains quickly, and you'll do it again (even if it takes a little longer).

Here's a success story involving ups and downs similar to yours. http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5118 (TMSHelp Forum - It's leaving -- again!)

Hang in there, work the program, try to not be too impressed by the pain or relapses, and get out there and do what truly makes you happy.