1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Help in determining the TMS personality traits

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by browndogisinthehouse, Apr 15, 2016.

1. browndogisinthehouse

browndogisinthehouse Peer Supporter

I need help in determining what tms traits
    described on TMS Wiki apply to me. As mentioned below, the main trait that is a cause of dilemma is the stoic and Perfectionism .

I am hoping that inputs will help me in getting more insight and handling situations and connecting with my feelings

Perfectionism
    I answered yes to the question of do I always have a task that needs to be done? And also to the question do I ignore my feelings when trying to accomplish a task? But I answered no to the other questions . in fact, to the question of whether I ignored my feelings in trying to accomplish a task, even doing this work is frustrating because I am not able find a direction which food give me hope. Yet , I push on. So it is very confusing if this is a perfectionist tendency or the average grit and determination that one needs to display in order to accomplish something

Goodist
    I guess I am definitely not a person with Goodist because I said strong no to each of the questions except the questions which says that if you strongly disagree with someone do you keep your thoughts to yourself. In corporate situations, I do that but that is more because I do not see any point of arguing when I know that a decision has already been taken

Legalist
    I strongly disagree with all the questions so I'm guessing that I do not fall into this category

Stoic

I answered yes to the first two questions of whether I find it awkward to express my emotions and also I rarely have extreme emotions. I'm actually not sure what to do with that. As mentioned elsewhere in the wiki, I get in touch with my inner self several times a day and try to label the emotions that I am experiencing. At the end of the Day, I mentally go over the range of the emotions that I may have experienced. The overall most statistical common emotion is that of hopelessness. As I mentioned above, I do a lot of self talk to continue to push myself to find ways to at least keep the pain at tolerable level

Anxiety / fear

This most certainly describes me. But nowadays the fear has given way to resignation and hopelessness. There is no longer any job lossto fear because I have already lost the job :). There is no longer any relationship loss to fear because I don't have a relationship. I now know when the finances will end and I will be on the roads so in effect, even though I have that trait, there does not seem to be any immediate factor that can cause anxiety and fear right now.

Low self esteem

I answered no to all of the questions so I am guessing I do not have this

Hostility / aggression

Again I answered no to all of the questions so I'm guessing I also do not have this either. From my childhood, I have been described as soft spoken person by strangers and in interviews so I am guessing that this is definitely a no no

Dependency

I have been in entrepreneurship / startup space right since graduation. I have paid for my education after high school. And I am living on my own. So I guess this is also some thing which I do not possess

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi browndogsinthehouse,

I figure you're trying to do this to support your TMS diagnosis. Let me make a general observation.

It seems that you have some evidence of TMS personality traits. I don't think it is too important to find a perfect checklist in this investigation. All personalities push themselves. All personalities try to not feel. All personalities try to control the behavior of others. All personalities are anxious. All personalities look to others for their feelings of worth. Remember that Dr. Sarno said "everyone has TMS."

Andy B

Susan1111 likes this.
  3. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

I concur with Andy B. I don't think it's important to analyze the personality traits list too minutely. For some, this part of the diagnosis really resonates with them... "i read myself on every page." For me, I felt like this was the sort of list that everybody could find themselves on, like a horoscope. Everybody's stressed. Everybody wants to be good. I think it's just important to recognize that life involves a lot of difficult emotions, and TMS is your brain's attempt to deal with them. Or, rather, not deal with them.

4. browndogisinthehouse

browndogisinthehouse Peer Supporter

I asked question because this is on day 19 of the structured educational program where you have to analyse your personality traits though different from the ones that are mention on the TMS wiki

So if everyone has TMS. Why I'm having disabling chronic pain. Is the answer that other people with TMS handle emotions better and patients like me do not. Sorry I am getting a bit confused now that I have read more on the wiki. Even the advice of practitioners is seemingly contradictory and I will have to read it again to understand

5. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

By 'everybody has TMS' I think it just means that everyone knows what it's like to have tense shoulders after a stressful day at work, or to have butterflies before a presentation. Everybody knows what it's like to have a physical response to a psychological trigger. That being said, there are people - characterized by the personality traits mentioned in the SEP - who are more susceptible to experiencing TMS in a chronic and debilitating way. So, while everyone gets red with embarrassment, not everyone gets chronic sciatica in response to losing their job, as an example. You may be more motivated to appear 'good' and 'better' and pushing your anger underground than others... again, just as an example. Maybe your coworker's neck hurts after a bad job review, but then he goes home, screams at the top of his lungs, runs around the block, blames his boss, doesn't worry too much about the neck pain, and is better in a week. Your neck might hurt after a bad job review and then you obsess over it for months on end as it gets worse and worse and you blame yourself for the whole thing. Again, an example. Just trying to illustrate what I think is meant by some of the material that's confusing you. There are many ways this can play out. Hope this helps.

Ellen and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

7. croydon

croydon Newcomer

I really enjoy reading about astrology and numerology and I want to tell you that everything in the universe has an energy vibration – and numbers are no different. In fact, in Numerology every number (and letter) has its own unique vibration that has an influence upon the story of your life. Therefore, numerology is the study of the relationship that numbers and letters have with our personality and life events. Also if you want to read about numerology you can acces here numerologyangel.com .

Last edited: May 13, 2020