1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How to get someone's attention with @mentions

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by Forest, Oct 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

You may have seen in different posts on the forum where someone's username appears like this:
    upload_2014-10-27_15-31-17.png

These are "@mentions" and are a great way to draw someone's attention to a specific post.
    This is a similar concept to tagging someone in a post on Facebook. This thread is a tutorial on how to @mention someone in a post. You can find a video demonstrating all these steps at the end of this post.

How to @mention someone in a post

Start writing your post in a new or existing thread. When you want to @mention someone, start with the @ symbol, and then start typing the username you want. (Do not put a space between the @ symbol and the username.)
    upload_2014-10-27_15-36-12.png

You should see a list of usernames show up after you start typing the beginning of the username:
    upload_2014-10-27_15-35-0.png

Click on the username of the person you want to @mention, and then continue with the rest of your post. You can also just type in the username yourself without using the drop-down menu.

Here's what your completed post should look like:
    upload_2014-10-27_15-37-25.png

Notice that in the post itself, the @mentioned person's name will also automatically become a link to their forum profile and other details:
    upload_2014-10-27_15-39-37.png

If someone has @mentioned you in a post, you should also get a notification on the forum letting you know who tagged you and what thread they tagged you in. Look in the top-right corner of the forum, under the "Alerts" tab.
    upload_2014-10-27_16-6-26.png

upload_2014-10-27_15-40-42.png

I should add that you don't want to overload people with @mentions. Consider who it is you are @mentioning in a post. For instance, you probably don't want to @mention TMS celebrities such as Steve Ozanich a lot. For me, as I say in the video, I'm not great at writing so @mentioning me may not get me to post in the thread.

Overall, though, this is a great way to notify people about certain discussions happening on the forum, and is a great way to pull them into the conversation, especially if you think they would enjoy contributing to the discussion!

Attached Files:

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Forest. This is very good information on getting more people to share ideas about TMS.