1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How to stop PT

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Sissiliz, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Sissiliz

Sissiliz New Member

Hi guys, I really need your advice there. I have just been 10 days into TMS work but I am truly convinced it's the way to go and it makes so much more sense to me than everything I have been told so far. I have already resumed physical activity and got rid of all my sitting cushions. My next step will be to try and reduce the opioids.
    My problem is: I had recently gone to see a new PT who is very skilled. He never did any therapy on me and was not really interested in getting the diagnosis right but had me started on exercises to get back my pelvis and back function after almost two years of inactivity and wrong movements and posture due to pain and fear and to rebalance left and right. I have been seeing him once a month just to add new exercises. He even told me to get rid of my sitting cushion. Do you think I should stop seeing him? I am quite confused there. On one side I am afraid that seeing him may still tell my unconscious that my issue is partly physical. On the other I feel I am not doing this for the pain but to restore function. Also he has been very nice to me so far and it would not feel right to him just to suddenly drop him. What do you think or what is your experience? Thank you!

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  2. Ann Miller

Ann Miller Well known member

What would it look like if you brought this PT into your TMS journey as a partner? Many of them are well aware that their is a mind/body connection; they've just learned not to bring it up with clients because the client reacts badly. (See my recovery story for how receptive I was the first time my doc suggested stress causing fibro)
    If he is onboard with the mind/body approach and helping you to do exercises that soothe and activate the parasympathetic nervous system, then you've got a win/win. If he poo-poos this and stays strictly in the physical, you must "stand this way to stay balanced or you'll have pain" realm, then you know that is not helping your belief or your recovery. I've got some TMS clients that I am coaching that are slowly weaning themselves off of painkillers and PT. You can do it!

3. Sissiliz

Sissiliz New Member

Thank you Ann! I just read your recovery story on your site, it's so inspiring! And you are right, I will talk to him and decide what to do according to his reaction and opinion. I definitely won't be willing to jeopardize my TMS journey, as it is the only treatment that has given me hope and optimism. I am meeting him in 10ish days. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your precious reply!

4. Ann Miller

Ann Miller Well known member

Totally welcome. I'd love to hear how it goes for you.