1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hypnosis / Hypnotherapy

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Josh Howard, Jan 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Josh Howard

Josh Howard New Member

Has anyone on here turned to hypnosis as a way of dealing with past traumas/emotions and did it help?

I have dealt with TMS for the last five years, various parts of my body flare up periodically, and I have dealt with these issue through Dr. Sarno's writings, the 42 day plan on this site, journaling, and therapy.

Lately the issues have increased and although I feel that all of the above have helped, they have not gotten to the root of the problem, which is my deep repressed emotions. It is extremely difficult for me to share and deal with the bad stuff that happened in my childhood.

Wondering if hypnotherapy may be an option for me.

Lilaynie likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Josh - I wish I could point you to a specific post, but I am quite sure that a number of people over the years have mentioned hypnosis/hypnotherapy as being helpful for deep trauma. Try doing a keyword search, and in the results, choose the tab that says "results from our forum only".

Josh Howard likes this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Josh, I tried hypnotherapy, after I read a story about a hypnosis session which resulted in severe dystonia (my symptoms) immediately disappear. Unfortunately, I could not find a hypnotherapist specializing in TMS conditions or even aware of TMS. The one I went to was a famous one and so expensive that anxiety over the cost exceeded the potential benefit :). However, after the session, my symptoms lifted for about 15 minutes. But the cost was scary and the wait for appointments was months, and travel was 3 hours one way.
    When I tried another one, for half the price, there was no improvement at all, so I gave up on him.

Josh Howard likes this.
  4. DWA

DWA Peer Supporter

Great question. I researched hypnotherapy a couple years ago to see if it would help with my longstanding feet neuropathy. I found a local therapist that appeared to have a good reputation, but the downside was the lack of coverage by insurance and the fringe nature of the technique overall. I didn't pull the trigger as I found this site and TMS therapy at around the same time and decided to immerse myself in these techniques first. I've learned a ton about how the brain works and how it directs pain signals and have had some relief from follow on symptoms associated with my chronic neuropathy (calming fear, lowering anxiety, fighting depression etc), but no change in the nerve pain in my feet. Anyway, I'm thinking of circling back on the hypnotherapy as a means to try to work on changing my way of thinking about the pain. Trying to re-wire my brain to not feel the numbness/discomfort. This really fits with TMS training anyway, a natural extension of it I would think? I would think those with doubts as to whether their pain symptoms fit into TMS spectrum or those with real structural damage or disease state would benefit from this type of therapy. Interested to see if others have found any success here...

Josh Howard likes this.
  5. pau_sas

pau_sas Newcomer

Could you share who this hypnotherapist was ? Thank so much! Paula

6. TG957

David Spiegel, Stanford Clinic

7. XenFlow

XenFlow Newcomer

Josh, I'll keep it brief. YES, it can help if you find a quality hypnotherapist that has both empathy (can put themselves in your shoes) and you get a good vibe from as being authentic. Someone you can have open dialogue with. My past emotional trauma cuts deep, and it's helped quite a bit. Likely not nearly as effective, but also use audio hypnosis at night in bed. Clean eating, clean hydration and overall fitness with sun or light exposure always helps.

8. pau_sas

pau_sas Newcomer

Yes I know of him, thanks! Do you think he's still seeing patients?

9. TG957

He is listed on their website. Wait was 2+ months, maybe better now.

10. pau_sas

pau_sas Newcomer

I see, thanks so much!!

11. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Josh,

I am a certified hypnotherapist and there is a lot of benefit you can get working with a good one.

I also have had many traumatic childhood experiences that I had to resolve, especially once I learned the cause of my disabling pain was repressed anger and rage.

However, I strongly believe what you focus on expands in your life. The more you focus on the past trauma, the more it tends to linger on. That’s why I spend very little time with my clients on the dark, gloomy past but help them focus on a bright, beautiful future.

In almost every case this has worked without having to bring up the past. Here’s a blogpost I wrote on dealing with childhood trauma effectively.

https://www.fredamir.com/single-post/2020/07/19/conquer-the-past-reclaim-your-life

12. Lilaynie

Lilaynie New Member

I’m looking for a hypnotherapist myself as an adjunct to the Sarnos work I’m doing.

13. Lilaynie

Lilaynie New Member

14. Lilaynie

Lilaynie New Member

Would you feel comfortable and effective working with fibromyalgia like symptoms IBS exhaustion etc in a 72 year old. If not could you recommend someone to me? I’m currently near providence. Thank you.

15. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Currently, I am not accepting new clients. However, I have a collection of videos that can help.
    https://www.fredamir.com/videos

You may also find this interview with Dr. Dan Ratner useful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePaGiQEw1JI

T
    ake care,